Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook pro Retina is running the dock at 95%. Took to apple genius they fixed it and now it is doing it again?

My macbook pro retina display is running the dock at 95% CPU usuage. I took it the genius this morning it fixed it for a while. I came home my computer was closed for 4 hours and it was running the CPU again at 95%. Could this do internal damage to the macintosh? Would you take it back to the apple store while it was under the 14 day trade in and get another one?

Secondly does anyone know what the issue is? And no I don't have parellels, which seems to be a common problem?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 8:07 PM

3 replies

Jun 26, 2012 8:42 PM in response to meismont

I would certainly have asked the Apple genius what he/she did to 'fix' the problem - it was obviously not a permanent fix... I've read a few threads here about runaway Dock's. Can you just kill the process and then Force Quit the Finder? There's no chance of doing any damage to your computer but the process should not be consuming 95% of your CPU.

It's likely something simple - particularly if the genius was able to offer a quick fix. Take it back and let them walk you through the fix. If you're not satisfied that the fix will remain 'fixed,' by all means get a new machine.

Just my opinion,

Clinton

Jul 17, 2012 3:07 AM in response to meismont

Try running your laptop under a different user. I had the same symptons and the genius concluded it was software related.

I added a new user account and that seemed to show no problems, so I deleted my normal account and recreated it and everything seems to be running fine now. The other suggestions I've seen have been:

• Changing your desktop wallpaper
  • Removing the date from the menu bar

Good luck.

Jul 17, 2012 3:14 AM in response to meismont

Likely all the Apple shop assistant did is either force quit the Dock in Activity Monitor or type

killall Dock

into Terminal.

The problem has recurred because he/she didn't search for and eliminate the underlying software conflict.

To start with, remove everything from here:

 > System Preferences... > Users & Groups | Login Items

by selecting everything in the list and hitting the minus '-' button undereneath the list.

Restart the mac and test.

My macbook pro Retina is running the dock at 95%. Took to apple genius they fixed it and now it is doing it again?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.