Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match Changing My Album Tags/Metadata Without Asking

I read recently that some of the iTunes Match problems have been resolved, so I decided to give it a try again. Unfortunately, I believe I have discovered yet another bug.

If I have two "albums" that contain the same track, sometimes after updating iTunes Match both tracks end up assigned to the same "album". For example, I have an album by ABC called "How To Be A Zillionaire" with this track list:

01) Fear Of The World

02) Be Near Me

03) Vanity Kills

04) Ocean Blue

05) 15 Storey Halo

06) A To Z

07) How To Be A Millionaire

08) Tower Of London

09) So Hip It Hurts

10) Between You & Me

11) Fear Of The World (In Cinemascope)

12) Be Near Me (Munich Disco Mix)

13) Vanity Kills (The Abigail's Party Mix)

14) Ocean Blue (Single Mix)

15) How To Be A Millionaire (Bond Street Mix)

16) Tower Of London (Extended Mix)

17) What's Your Destination

18) Vanity Kills (US Remix)

19) Ocean Blue (Atlantic Mix)

20) How To Be A Millionaire (Nickel And Dime Mix)

21) Tower Of London (Instrumental)

22) Ocean Blue (Pacific Mix)

23) How To Be A Zillionaire (Wall St. Mix)

24) Judy's Jewels

25) How To Be A Trillionaire (Harajuku Mix)

I have another "album" (actually a single) called "How To Be A Zillionaire (Wall St. Mix)" with this track list:

01) How To Be A Zillionaire (Wall St. Mix)

02) How To Be A Millionaire

03) How To Be A Millionaire (Acapella)

Track 23 from the album and track 01 from the single are the same track. The metadata is correctly filled in on both, including the correct album art.

After I ran iTunes Match, I was missing track 01 from the single, and had two track 23s in the album. iTunes Match changed my metadata for no good reason and without asking. I know iTunes Match changed the metadata because one of the duplicates in the album still has the single artwork.

Track 07 from the album and track 02 from the single are also duplicates, but they were left alone.

Say what you want about my collecting habits, but if I intentionally have a duplicate track in two albums, I want them to stay that way. At no time should iTunes Match be changing any metadata in my collection without my express permission.

I've sent this to Apple, but I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 9:50 PM

2 replies

Jan 20, 2015 7:57 PM in response to Douggie70

If you're still wondering, it hasn't! Ripped multiple CD's from an anthology collection (10 discs). Spent hours sorting metadata, uploaded to iTunes Match. The songs from the first 3 discs have found their way in to disc 4. Spent some time fixing it so that discs 1-3 showed with their tracks, iTunes Match changed it all back to the f"*7*ing incorrect data again! AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!! No way should Apple software change your metadata without permission.

iTunes Match Changing My Album Tags/Metadata Without Asking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.