Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text magnifying glass

Is this really how this is supposed to look? (Note that the text in the magnifying glass is almost the same size as the text it's supposed to be magnifying.)

Precise positioning of the insertion point has been driving me nuts on my iPad lately. It has always looked like this, I guess I'm just noticing it more now as I'm creating more text on my iPad. This makes positioning the insertion point very difficult, and it frequently (at least half the time) ends up in the wrong place due to slight movements as I lift my finger. Is this something wrong with my particular iPad, or is this how everyone sees it?

I've got an iPad 2 running the latest version of iOS.

User uploaded file

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 5:34 AM

It's how it is on mine - the text is only slightly bigger, with the 'glass' being slightly above your finger so that you can then see where the insertion point is. So it's more of an insertion point aid than a text magnifier.

6 replies

Jun 27, 2012 5:37 AM in response to thomas_r.

The magnifying glass does not enlarge the text all that much on my iPad either. It works just like your does. I usually have to zoom in order to place the insertion point with accuracy. I have always had to work this way on my original iPad and on my new iPad.

I do a great deal of typing on the iPad. I use it all day at work. The placement of the insertion point has always been a bit of a pain for me, but I have learned to live with it. It moves with the slightlest movement of my finger just as you are describing it. If there is a better, more accurate way to position the insertion point, I would like to know what it is as well.

Jun 27, 2012 5:55 AM in response to Demo

The only more accurate way to control the insertion point is with an external keyboard. With one attached you can move the insertion point a single character over with the left and right arrow keys, one word over with option + arrow keys, to the beginning or end of the line with control + arrow keys, and select text with shift + arrow keys.

Jun 27, 2012 6:11 AM in response to King_Penguin

That's what I was afraid of. I'm a big Apple fan, but they dropped the ball on this one. This could have been implemented much better. I guess it's finally time to go submit some feedback, and hope it'll be considered in time for iOS 6.

I agree a keyboard would be the best way to input text, but it shouldn't be made necessary by shortcomings in the interface.

Jun 27, 2012 6:27 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thomas A Reed wrote:

I agree a keyboard would be the best way to input text, but it shouldn't be made necessary by shortcomings in the interface.

I agree with you on this as well. I know that many iPad owners use external keyboards with their iPads, but I don't want to have to buy a keyboard for a device that has the keyboard built in to it. I want the built in keyboard to work without any additional "add-ons" necessary. Since this is a a touch screen device, I expect the touch features to work accurately when placing the insertion point while typing text.

I have gotten quite comfortable typing on the iPad keyboard while using the stand from my Otterbox Defender case. I don't want to have to add another $75 or $100 or more accessory in order to be able to type on it.

Text magnifying glass

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.