Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incoming email goes directly into trash folder

My new emails are being routed directly into the Trash folder. Any suggestions?

iPhone 4, Windows XP

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 6:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 8:33 PM

This started happening to my Apple devices after Hurricane Sandy swept through. Although I don't think I experienced any email outages during this time, I am wondering now whether servers were reset or power-cycled, causing a refresh of settings that I had previously never touched. Anyway, I got the idea of logging directly into my AT&T email account, in this case an "sbcglobal" account - same as yahoo mail. Sure enough, directly on the server, there were NO emails in my inbox at all. A folder had been created on the server called "Trash" - but not really the Trash folder where deleted emails go - and all my incoming emails were in the Trash folder. I dug around AT&T online support and found the issue and the fix - here's a cut 'n' paste - "Keep a copy of my email messages on the server When you choose to have your email delivered to you via an email client, the att.net email messages are normally deleted from the server and placed in the att.net Mail Trash folder. The deleted messages are kept only temporarily. If you wish, you can change the settings in your mail application so that you can keep messages on the server indefinitely (in your att.Mail Inbox), instead of having them moved to the Trash. To set up this feature, go to the Tools or Edit menu in your email application and look for Accounts, Options, or Preferences. You may also search the Help section in your email application for help with POP mail. You should look for a check box/feature like this: Leave a copy of messages on server Leave a copy of each message on the server Leave messages on server Leave messages on server after retrieval Delete from server after... When deleting messages locally... Remember, the goal here is to make sure your email messages stay on the server. That way they stay in your att.net Mail Inbox rather than going to the Trash folder." I use Windows Mail (don't laugh!) so from the menu bar at the top go to Tools>Accounts...>clicked on my mail account>Properties...>Advanced tab> Delivery section and clicked the box "Leave a copy of messages on the server" - I chose 90 days as the "remove from server" setting. Back over in your AT&T direct login to your email account, open your Trash folder, select all the messages, and move them to the Inbox. They will now appear on your Apple devices.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2012 8:33 PM in response to beachmimi

This started happening to my Apple devices after Hurricane Sandy swept through. Although I don't think I experienced any email outages during this time, I am wondering now whether servers were reset or power-cycled, causing a refresh of settings that I had previously never touched. Anyway, I got the idea of logging directly into my AT&T email account, in this case an "sbcglobal" account - same as yahoo mail. Sure enough, directly on the server, there were NO emails in my inbox at all. A folder had been created on the server called "Trash" - but not really the Trash folder where deleted emails go - and all my incoming emails were in the Trash folder. I dug around AT&T online support and found the issue and the fix - here's a cut 'n' paste - "Keep a copy of my email messages on the server When you choose to have your email delivered to you via an email client, the att.net email messages are normally deleted from the server and placed in the att.net Mail Trash folder. The deleted messages are kept only temporarily. If you wish, you can change the settings in your mail application so that you can keep messages on the server indefinitely (in your att.Mail Inbox), instead of having them moved to the Trash. To set up this feature, go to the Tools or Edit menu in your email application and look for Accounts, Options, or Preferences. You may also search the Help section in your email application for help with POP mail. You should look for a check box/feature like this: Leave a copy of messages on server Leave a copy of each message on the server Leave messages on server Leave messages on server after retrieval Delete from server after... When deleting messages locally... Remember, the goal here is to make sure your email messages stay on the server. That way they stay in your att.net Mail Inbox rather than going to the Trash folder." I use Windows Mail (don't laugh!) so from the menu bar at the top go to Tools>Accounts...>clicked on my mail account>Properties...>Advanced tab> Delivery section and clicked the box "Leave a copy of messages on the server" - I chose 90 days as the "remove from server" setting. Back over in your AT&T direct login to your email account, open your Trash folder, select all the messages, and move them to the Inbox. They will now appear on your Apple devices.

Aug 4, 2016 1:09 PM in response to beachmimi

I have the same problem with my Apple mail...everything goes directly to Trash!!! So every day I use "Mailbox / Move to" to move to Inbox.

Isn't it amazing that with Apple's zillions of dollars they don't have an online genius that can just tell us the answer? Why do they leave it up to us to figure it out for ourselves. The need to use a product review system like Amazon to let them know what their customer's think...so THEY can fix it!

Incoming email goes directly into trash folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.