Previous 1 2 Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2014 4:34 PM by th1s1sm3
jbs12345 Level 1 (0 points)

I have already tried this using file/export function but the dates got changed from the original date when I tok the photos to today's date. I want to keep the original dates.

Mac mini (Mid 2007), Mac OS X (10.7.3), none
  • jbs12345 Level 1 (0 points)

Just to clarify my previous question, the dates I am keen to retain are the dates applied to each jpeg by the camera which are the dates the photos were taken.

• Old Toad Level 10 (135,413 points)

Export the photo with Kind = Original.

iP9export.PNG

OT

• jbs12345 Level 1 (0 points)

Many thanks for your suggestion.

I am using iPhoto '11 version 9.2.3 (629.52) and under file/export.../  the next menu does not have quite the same choices but if I select 'original' under 'Kind' the original creation date is transferred but any editing such as cropping and so on is lost.

I have about 3000 files to transfer and have already spent a lot of time improving them in iPhoto. Iideally I would lke to transfer copies of both the original unedited pictures and the improvd ones, both with the original creation date put on by the camera.

Any ideas how to do this?

• LarryHN Level 9 (76,980 points)

If these are photos from cameras (not scanned) then exporting JPEG gives you the current modified photo with all of the original EXIF and IPTC data inclusing the date the camera put in the EXIF

If you export as kind = original you get the sae with the unedited photo

To see the phtos dates you need to use photo software which accesses the photo metadata - file software (ike the finder) does not use the photo metadata but the file metadata which reflects file information not photo information

LN

• Terence Devlin Level 10 (137,920 points)

There are two kinds of metadata involved when you consider  jpeg or other image file.

One is the file data. This is what the Finder shows. This tells you nothing about the contents of the file, just the File itself.

The problem with File metadata is that it can easily change as the file is moved from place to place or exported, e-mailed, uploaded etc.

Photographs have also got both Exif and IPTC metadata. The date and time that your camera snapped the Photograph is recorded in the Exif metadata. Regardless if what the file date says, this is the actual time recorded by the camera.

Photo applications like iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom, Picasa, Photoshop etc get their date and time from the Exif metadata.

When you export from iPhoto to the Finder new file is created containing your Photo (and its Exif). The File date is - quite accurately - reported as the date of Export. However, the Photo Date doesn't change.

The problem is that the Finder doesn't work with Exif.

So, your photo has the correct date, and so does the file, but they are different things. To sort on the Photo date you'll need to use a photo app.

• Tigervision Level 1 (10 points)

TD and LN-

During export of event, I am choosing jpeg. Maximum quality.

Checking both boxes for title and keywords and location info.

File name is use file name.

Prefix box is blank.

Subfolder is event name.

I then import the event into new library.

The rating of the pics, ie 5 stars, is not carried over.

Any way to make that happen?

Isn't that part of metadata?

Thanks again.

Forgot to add/ask.

During export and import of event the key photo is also not carried over for the event.

Anyway to have that happen too or am I asking for my cake and to eat it too?

There is no convention for exporting subjective metadata like ratings. One workaround is to use a keyword: one, two, three, etc and use that to rebuild later.

When you export you're putting files into a folder. The Finder doesn't understand 'Events' and knows nothing of Key Photos.

Regards

TD

Using key words for star ranking as a work around to rebuild = genius.

I can't search for all five star pics and then add key word (five) to all those pics at once can I?

One thing I did from my corrupt library is take screen shots and printed those so I can quickly go back and put same photo for key photo ;)

Thanks again.

I can't search for all five star pics and then add key word (five) to all those pics at once can I?

Yes. Use a Smart Album. Then select them all. Then add the keyword.

Sorry to bother. I'm not familiar with smart album.

If I go to search by rating in event view, choose 5 star. I see all the pics from different events that are 5 star.

Then what ?

Thanks.

File -> New Smart Album

My Rating -> is -> 5 stars

finds all of them

Command - a selects them all

Click on the info button  and type 'five' into the keyword box.

Or use the Keyword Manager (Window Menu)

Done.

Regards

TD

You're the best!  Thanks.

Now once I get them in a new library and search for five, can I put the 5 stars back on each pic in one shot ;)

And or delete the five keyword. 

Hi TD.

Do you know of away to put the actual 5 stars back at once after searching for my key word?

Is there also a way to remove the keyword from all pics at once?

Thanks.

Previous 1 2 Next