I have been trying to sync a custom ringtone (m4r) on my Iphone4, but Itunes keeps telling me "My Iphone is synced with another Itunes Library." and that it will erase my iphone and the itunes library.
My Iphone only has Apps on it. I already have the Apps automatically synced. I don't have Music or Videos on my Iphone4 since I have those synced automatically only to my Ipod. I have the Ringtone file already placed in my Itunes library under TONES. I tried dragging it into my Iphone4 Tones and it won't let me. If I try to check "Sync Tones" and apply, the message about erasing my Iphone comes up every time.
I honestly don't know what to do. I only use one computer & one itunes so I don't know why the message about my Itunes library pops up. My question is should I just sync the Tones even though it says it will erase? I mean what would the syncing erase when I only have apps on the Iphone?
Help is greatly appreciated.
Try doing the following:
- Without connecting your phone, open iTunes on you computer, go to Preferences, on the Devices tab check "Prevent...from automatically syncing"
- Authorize your computer or all Apple IDs used to purchase media on your phone from either the iTunes or App store by going to iTunes>Store>Authorize this computer
- Connect your phone, when it appears in iTunes on the left sidebar, right-click on the name of your phone and select Transfer Purchases (this will transfer your apps and other purchased media to your iTunes library)
- Right-click on the name of your phone again and select Backup (this will back up your phone without syncing)
- Review your sync settings on the various tabs to the right (Summary, Info, Music, etc.) and select what you want to sync. If you are syncing contacts and/or calendars on the Info tab you will need to enter at least one contact and one calendar event into the program you are syncing these with prior to syncing your phone.
- On the Tones tab check Sync Tones, and make sure you have checked the ringtone(s) in your library that you want to sync to your phone.
- Sync your phone. Your iTunes media may be erased from your phone (including your apps), but since they have now been transferred to your iTunes library they will simply be synced back to your phone.
- After syncing you can go back to iTunes>Preferences>Devices ang re-enable automatic syncing.