Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change server IP address

I have a snow lepard server and may have to change the static IP address assigned to the server, the outside IP address. I thought when I set up the server I had put in both the inside and outside address but in going through the settings I do not seem to find the place to change the outside IP address. I know I will need to change the registartion record with the domain holder but I thought I also needed to make a change on the server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 4:40 PM

6 replies

Jun 27, 2012 11:35 PM in response to David Kirschenbaum

Are you on a NAT network? In which case the server doesn't have an outside address. The outside address is held by your router/firewall (or whatever device is running your NAT setup), and that's the device that needs to change.

It's unusual to have a real-world, static IP address on the server, although it is possible, of course. Just no way for anyone here to know how you're setup.

Jun 28, 2012 10:27 AM in response to David Kirschenbaum

If you're running email, then you just need to make sure you update your DNS records to match the new IP addresses at the same time. That way your MX record will point to the right hostname/IP address, and your reverse DNS will match, too. It isn't clear where you're running DNS to know where you need to make that change, but hopefully you know that part 🙂

Jun 29, 2012 10:00 AM in response to Frank Bassman

Somehow reinstalling the server seems like a pretty complicated method. I don't think I am using the DNS for anythign other then the internal network. From what I have setup on the DNS tabs it is all internal IP address, the only external ones are on my router and at the domain register to point to the static IP on the cable modem. I guess I will need to se what happens when I change to a new provider and get a new static IP. Hopefully making the changes at the Domain and on my router will be all that is needed.

Change server IP address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.