Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to resize Dictionary widget in Lion?

Using a MacBook Pro with Retina display, I am unable to resize the Dictionary widget. On my previous MacBook Pro (2008, running OSX 10.6.8), you could grab the lower right corner of the Dictionary panel and drag it to expand the window.

With Lion, grabbing doesn't do anything, so I'm stuck with a tiny Dictionary window that requires scrolling to see more than a few lines.

Is there a fix for this? Thank you!

Jerry

Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 4:43 PM

6 replies

Jun 27, 2012 5:45 PM in response to jerdunn

AFAIK the Dictionary included with Mac OS X Lion is not a Widget. It is an App and allows resizing of the window, at least on my Mac it does.

Just looked and there is a Dictionary Widget. I opened it and type in something. The definition popped up and I could expand the window it was using.

So it seems you have a problem with that widget or the OS install.

May I ask why you are using the widget and not the real Dictionary App? With the widget you have to go to the Dashboard. With the App you can Command+Tab to it from any other program that is running.

Jun 27, 2012 7:25 PM in response to Shootist007

In the "More Like This" box on this page, I just noticed a post from Bazoooty called "Dictionary widget is too small. Way to make it larger?"

Bazoooty solved his own problem (and mine) as follows:

"Nevermind. It's just much more finnicky. You need to drag very carefully from the lower right corner, downward, to make the widget longer. Then you need to drag from the right side near the very bottom to make it wide. It also helps to have other widgets on your Dashboard out of the way."

This works perfectly -- thanks!

To answer Shootist 007's question (and thank you for responding!), I prefer the widget because the window is easy to access and it goes away when you're done, rather than getting in the way of other windows, etc.

Thanks to all!

How to resize Dictionary widget in Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.