You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the ipod shuffle need the ipod dock in order to charge or will it work with the current generations usb connector?

My current generation shuffle got lost. I have a second generation one, but I no longer have the ipod dock to charge it and connect it. I tried plugging it in with my current generation usb cord, but nothing is happening. I am wondering if you need the docking station or if my second generation one is just broken.

iPod touch

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 6:24 PM

1 reply

Jun 27, 2012 9:39 PM in response to chrisfromogden

The 2nd gen shuffle, the one that came with a miniature dock, has a connector that is different from the current (and 3rd gen) shuffle. So you should not use one of those USB shuffle cables as a replacement. If you look at the listing for it at the iTunes Store

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC003ZM/A

it specifically says it's for 3rd and 4th gen shuffles.

However, there is no need for the cable to have a "dock." If you do a search at Amazon, eBay, or elsewhere, there are many third-party replacements that just have the connector at the end. And they usually cost much less than the "official" Apple replacement. Just make sure it is described as being for the 2nd gen iPod shuffle.

Does the ipod shuffle need the ipod dock in order to charge or will it work with the current generations usb connector?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.