Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Questions Before I Buy

What is the best format to render my 3D images for import into FCE? I've been told targa is the best. Is this true? I can render to these formats:

TIFF, Targa, BMP, IFF, RLA, RPF, Photoshop, or there is a setting that say's: Compositing project file for: Final Cut Express

Render size (Confused)
Do I need to render all my 3D animations at the same size for input into FCE. I remember using imovie and if all of the images weren't the same size they would look awful. How does FCE handle this and how do I determine what size to render my 3D renders for import into FCE?

Thanks

Dual G4 Tower, Mac OS X (10.3.8), 1 GB Ram

Posted on Mar 16, 2006 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2006 7:13 PM

Are these animated 3D images, or still images? If they're animated ideally you should render out in a video format. FCE works in DV or HDV; those are the formats you should render out to. For NTSC 720x480 DV at 29.97fps.

All the best,

Tom
11 replies

Mar 16, 2006 7:57 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Animated or Still images. Well I can render as both I think, but have just rendered still images to this point. Aren't still images the same only rendered separately rather than as a .mov for e.g.? For example I rendered the animation as a Quicktime .mov but I also rendered the animation out as separate images. 240 to be exact 10 seconds long. Which is better and Why?

I don't see DV or HDV. Will any of the following formats work?

- Automatic
- Manual
- 16mm
- 35 mm
- 35mm full
- 65 mm
- 70 mm
- Studios Shot 1
- Studio Shot 2
- Computer
- HGTV
- Suggested Format
- IMAX
- Small Format
- Medium Format
- NTSC
- PAL
- Super 8
- Super 16 mm
- Techniscope
- VistaVision

Mar 16, 2006 8:49 PM in response to Paint Guy

You weren't clear in your first message. I asked if it was a 3D still image or an animation. I gather it's an animation.

What's the application that's making this? It might be easier if you mention it.

If you can export a video file it would be easier to work with in a video editing application. NTSC is kind of vague but if you can specify the frame size, frame rate, and codec you should be able to do it.

All the best,

Tom

Mar 16, 2006 10:44 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I am using Cinema 4D. I meant I can export from Cinema 4D as a set of rendered images that can then be dropped into an editor like FCE or I can export from Cinema 4D as one of the previously mentioned movie formats. Sorry, I know next to 0 about video and edidtng software.

My goal is to make a demo reel of some of my art and 3D animations.

What if I have rendered out 240 renders of an animation at 576 x 240 and 240 renders that are 640 x 320. Will FCE just crop the images in the window or does it have to be a specific size? I know imovie will stretch the files if they are not all the same size and it looks awful. How does FCE handle this?

Mar 17, 2006 3:43 AM in response to Paint Guy

In C4D you can create a scene that conforms to digital video so you can export in the correct format.

Your scene needs to be 720x480 with the CCIR601 pixel aspect ratio (that's a 0.9 pixel aspect ratio). You can specify this in C4D. The frame rate needs to to 29.97fps and the render codec needs to be DV NTSC. All of this can be specified in C4D when you export. You should check their manual to find out how to do this.

All the best,

Tom

Mar 17, 2006 8:18 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom,

Q. What is the pixel aspect ratio of FCE HD?
Q. I need to make the movie for Television 16:9 aspect ratio. Are you just saying I need to render my files at 720 x 480 then once there in FCE HD I can export the movie at a diiiferent size?
Q. The CCIR601 what's this. Do you mean I just must make sure my pixels are square?
Q. Frame Rate: Why 29.97 fps? Can I use a whole number like 30? Why not 24 fps (Movies) or 25 fps (European)?
Q. DV NTSC (Digital Video) but why this?
Q. IYO do you think I can do this in imovie? What's the advantages of imovie vs. FCE HD?

I appreciate your wisdom.

Mar 17, 2006 1:37 PM in response to Paint Guy

Q. What is the pixel aspect ratio of FCE HD?

A. Depends what format you're working on. DV is CCIR601.

Q. I need to make the movie for Television 16:9 aspect ratio. Are you just saying I need to render my files at 720 x 480 then once there in FCE HD I can export the movie at a diiiferent size?

A. You could export at a different size, but where are you trying to get to? 16:9 is a anamorphically squeezed format that fits into the 720x480 image resolution. It's sometimes represented by a different pixel aspect ratio.

Q. The CCIR601 what's this. Do you mean I just must make sure my pixels are square?

A. CCIR601 is a digital video format specification that sets the pixel aspect ratio (among other things). The pixel aspect is not square it is 0.9, taller, and thinner than square pixels.

Q. Frame Rate: Why 29.97 fps? Can I use a whole number like 30? Why not 24 fps (Movies) or 25 fps (European)?

A. 29.97 is the fame rate used by North American television. Video has to be that frame to appear on a television set. That's the frame rate used by DV NTSC (the North American standard). The DV resolution specifies a frame size, 720x480, a frame rate 29.97, and a pixel aspect ratio that conforms to CCIR601. Anything that does not conform to this specification will be changed and rendered out to the format inside FCE.

Q. DV NTSC (Digital Video) but why this?

A. That's the format the application works in. It only works in DV or HDV formats. If you want a resolution independent application you need Final Cut Studio.

Q. IYO do you think I can do this in imovie? What's the advantages of imovie vs. FCE HD?

A. I don't know what you're doing so I can't say whether it would be easier in iMovie. You've made these 3D videos, but you want to doing something in an editing application with them. What is not clear. It's likely iMovie will be fine for your purposes. iMovie has the same requirements as FCE, in that it also only works in DV or HDV at specific resolutions and frame rates.

All the best,

Tom

Mar 18, 2006 12:10 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom,

I really appreciate your detailed answers, Sorry I'm asking a lot of questions. The thing I find most confusing is the size and type of image I need to use imovie and FCE HD? I come from the Photoshop end where I can open any size image and crop, then resave at any size. This whole thing about haing just the exact size of image or you can't make a movie seems a bit frustrating to me.

Do you know where I can find an article or tutorial explaining this better. I don't even know what to look for.

I compliment you on your patience in answering all of my questions
Much appreciated.

Final Cut Questions Before I Buy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.