Skip navigation

mba 8 gb v 4 gb

650 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2012 9:55 PM by skiflyer RSS
michaelfromseal beach Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 27, 2012 8:11 PM

How much do i gain with an 8 gb RAM in the MBA 11"?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)
  • steve359 Level 6 Level 6 (12,035 points)
    Jun 27, 2012 8:12 PM (in response to michaelfromseal beach)

You can never upgrade MBA after purchase.  Buy it now if you think you will *ever* need it.

• captfred Level 7 Level 7 (26,225 points)
    Jun 27, 2012 8:13 PM (in response to michaelfromseal beach)

Memory is always a good addition.  It only costs $100 extra and can't be upgraded later.

Buy it with 8 Gigs while you can. 

• skiflyer Calculating status...
    Jun 27, 2012 9:55 PM (in response to michaelfromseal beach)

A lot, at least for now. And here's why. 32bit programs max out at 4gb of RAM. A lot of the programs we all use are still 32bit.

If one of them decides it needs to use all the RAM it is capable of, then you'll get swapping between the disk and the RAM. The SSD's in an Air are fast, but still much slower than RAM. If you have 8gb, the OS will generally still have plenty of RAM to do its business, as well as any background processes while your memory hungry app is done with about 4gb.

This is all a gross oversimplification, but in practice it's pretty accurate. Breaking the 4gb is just a nice thing to do if you can.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.