Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does apple 27 Thunderbolt display work with ASUS P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT

Hi,

I'm considering building a new box with ASUS P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT motherboard that includes a generic Intel graphics sub system which supports a max resolution 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz. I would love to connect a 27 inch Apple Thunderbolt display to it. Any one have any experience with this setup ? I'm not sure how to setup the two speakers. Will they be automatically supported through some type of Thunderbolt daisy chain interface ???

Many Thanks

fastrobby

Apple 27" Thunderbolt display-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 2:47 AM

27 replies

Jun 28, 2012 3:33 AM in response to fastrobby

I think someone else mentioned this pc/TB board in another thread. This is all guesswork/speculation on my part but I would think that in order be be legally sold as "thunderbolt" it would have to adhere to the standards for thunderbolt. Same sort of thing to be able to call HDMI by the name HDMI. And there are many other examples.

Since I know nothing of the standard I don't know whether it would let one implement a subset, for example, not carry usb, which is required for the speakers and camera in the TB 27" display.

Jul 3, 2012 7:08 AM in response to fastrobby

I use the second Thunderbolt port on my 27" ACD TB with a MSI Z77A-GD80. The display works with Intel's HD graphics and supports sound, USB, firewire and I was able to get the network port running. I find Lucid's Virtu GPU visualiztion is hit and miss with a dedicated 3D GPU depending on what application/game is running.

Jul 12, 2012 8:46 AM in response to bdsix

Thanks again for all your help I have issues still what is it call in your device manager? just to make sure I have the right thing.

All devices are enabled, I have.

High Definition Audio Device

NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

Jul 22, 2012 8:39 AM in response to fastrobby

After a bunch of testing with a build I got running yesterday (Asus Pro/Thunderbolt, i5 3750k, GTX 560) I can say: yes, but not without it's quirks.

1. Be sure to set up without the thunderbolt display. Make sure everything works fine with the system and that ALL drivers and chipsets are up to date (including the intel HD accelerated driver). You can find everything on the asus product web page.

2. Update the bios to the latest version.

3. THEN plug in the thunderbolt display.

4. Go into bios and change the following settings:

- Under graphics, set the iGPU to be the default

- Turn on iGPU multi-monitor support (for running Lucid Virtu MVP)

- Under thunderbolt, disable thunderbolt device wake from sleep (currently causes many issues waking from sleep... go figure)

You should be good to go. If you're gaming with the TB display, make sure you add the program you want to run to the Lucid Virtu applications list. Even then, not all games will run. If you get a black screen on a game launch with a bunch of red artefacts, scratch that one off the list until the tech becomes more stable via software updates and bios updates.

Currently enjoying the TB display set up on my new windows box, though it was rough to get set up. Playing Diablo 3 on full native res with maxed out settings is a joy. Again, not without its quirks, but that's life on the bleeding edge 😉

Jul 24, 2012 5:53 AM in response to Derick Valadao

Just wanted to update. Turns out a number of quirks I was experiencing was due to my own error. Mainly, the big problem I was having was the screen going black with red artefacts at times when the resolution changed. The problem was intermittent, but required a hard reboot when it occured.

I mistakenly chalked it up to buggy Lucid Virtu software. Turns out, I still had the bloody hdmi cable plugged into the back of the discrete GPU. Bad idea, I guess. Stability under gaming scenarios is much improved after this change.

Does apple 27 Thunderbolt display work with ASUS P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.