Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install Windows 7 on Boot Camp partition

I ran the Boot Camp application and it formatted a partition but when I try to install Windows 7 Home Premium full version it says the partition is invalid. There was no option to choose NTFS or FAT and now the installer is telling me that the partition is not NTFS.

What should I do?

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 6:29 AM

19 replies

Jun 28, 2012 7:26 AM in response to jrm1

Yup. Windows will not install when there are other drives present that have GPT.

Very old simple to just remove until later.

If you were installing to the same drive as OS X (prefer not to of course) still need to pull the drives temporarily until after Windows is done.

you do not need a new drive. You can just format the drive now that you were going to use:

Disk Utility: Partition: 1 or more, does not matter: Advanced: Options - choose MBR Windows partition table format. Click Apply. Then Apply again.

When in Windows 7, choose the entire drive - Advanced Options and delete what DU created! let Windows do its thing - no need to create or format if you deleted / removed those partitions.

Jun 28, 2012 8:05 AM in response to jrm1

you sure you need to run Windows natively? maybe a VM would do fine.

You can but I like the convenience of pulling Windows or having it on its own and not have to worry about Lion and Mountain Lion or Lion Recovery on the same drive.

What ever works.

As I said, Windows does not like seeing GPT style drives. It goes beyond "seeing" OS X (it can't, it sees GPT and EFI partitions which you don't and it does not really care about the HFS+ partition at all).

Jun 28, 2012 12:26 PM in response to jrm1

GUID Partition Table (GPT) is requried for Macs because they use EFI.

Don't worry but why not try Windows in VirtualBox first instead.

www.virtualbox.com is a free VM read the pdf and wikipedia

No you just need to set aside a reasonable, 50-60GB guess, for Windows but I doubt the program needs Boot Camp unless it is 3D or something your MP has more than enough RAM and processor cores to run VM.

Can't install Windows 7 on Boot Camp partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.