11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2012 7:38 PM by Chris CA
Ted Weller Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm thinking of purchasing a new iPad, if I were to purchase one would I be able to do the following: Create a picture folder in it (as I would in 'finder') and store images both JPG and RAW from camera in that folder thereby using the iPad as a portable storage device and then later transfering them as original files to my imac for editing etc. The cameras used are both Nikon and Canon using both SD and CF cards. I understand that I would most likely have to purchase a card reader to transfer the images from camera to Ipad.

Many Thanks

• King_Penguin Level 10 Level 10 (104,205 points)

You can copy photos into the built-in Photos app on the iPad via the camera connection kit - it has an SD reader and a cable for direct transfer from the camera (the iPad doesn't have a USB port). The iPad doesn't have a file system like a 'normal' computer, everything has to be stored within an app, so it doesn't have anything like 'finder' or 'windows explorer'.

You can then copy the photos to your computer from the iPad (you can't use the kit to copy content off the iPad) : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083

No picture info is lost when using the kit and then transferring to a computer i.e. photos dimensions, size and exif info are all kept.

• Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (77,010 points)

Ted Weller wrote:

I'm thinking of purchasing a new iPad, if I were to purchase one would I be able to do the following: Create a picture folder in it (as I would in 'finder')

No. You cannot create folders ont eh iPad (like itn eh Finder).

You can simply import the pictures (RAW and jpg) from the camera with the Camera Connection Kit.

The jpg will be viewable in the Photo viewer.

The photos will be imported to iPhoto (or Aperature) on the computer when you sync the iPad.

• Cathy Brown1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm researching exactly the same issue and am considering buying an ipad for travel purposes. I shoot with a high end SLR.

I generally shoot raw only to a CF card.

• Will iphoto read my raws and at least give me a preview?
    • Will I be able to connect a cf card reader to the usb part of the connector kit?
    • Is there any way to connect a external drive to the ipad for more storage and backup during extended travel?
    • Is there a wired way to move files from an ipad to my mac, or can I only do this through wifi syncing?

Thanks.

You will see a jpeg version of the raw photos - I've used mine with Canon raws which gives a good idea of the photo's quality.

Some CF card readers work, but a lot require too mch power. If you have a powered reader or a CF-only reader (as opposed to a multi-card reader) then you will have a better chance of it working.

No, you can't connect an external drive (the camera connection kit only support the copying of photos an videos to the iPad).

You can copy photos and videos copied to the iPad via the kit to your computer via cable : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083

Thanks so much for the info. However, I'm confused by the info in the link you provided regarding moving content to a mac that has been downloaded from a card to an ipad. Here's the text that is troubling me. I hope you can explain it ... .

"Additional Information

You can import only photo and video content taken with the built-in camera or captured on the device. You cannot import photo or video content synced from iTunes."

It is a bit misleading. Photos and videos that are copied to the iPad via the kit (or which are saved from emails or websites) are treated in the same way as those that are taken with the iPad i.e. they can be copied to a computer in the way described in that link. I've done it without any problem, and no info is lost from the photos i.e. size, dimensions, exif info etc.

It is just phototos that were synced to the iPad from a computer's iTunes that can't be copied back - presumably because they were synced from a computer, and the iTunes syncing 'optimises' them, so that they might no longer be exactly the same on the iPad as they were on the original computer. There are some third-party apps that allow you to copy them back via your wifi network.

Thank you, that's very helpful.

Cathy Brown1 wrote:

"Additional Information

You can import only photo and video content taken with the built-in camera or captured on the device. You cannot import photo or video content synced from iTunes."

This means if you have sync'd items to the iPad using iTunes, you cannot later re-import them back from the iPad to the computer.

(didn't read Demo's follow up which says same thing)

• Ted Weller Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks to all ... very helpful

Ted

One more question that just occurred to me. In transferring the photos to the computer from the iPad how do you link the two devices since the iPad doesn't have a usb port? Is a cable provided?

Yes it comes with a dock connector (on the iPad) to USB connector cable.