Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

address book on my mac and Cloud question

Noticed the contacts were different on my mac and iCloud and not sure why. In iTunes have backing up to iCloud but not sure that is correct or matters. Contacts on the iPhone are seldom correct and want to get this fixed. recently deleted quite a few from the address book and tried to restore on Time Machine but not allowed. Does anyone know the file for Adress book that I can restore?

additionally, how should the address book be set so the same items are on the IMac , iPhone4 and iPad2?

Obviously I don't understand and would appreciate some assistance - driving me crazy.

Thanks!

Mac OS X (10.7.3), 2TB Western Digital external drive for mymac

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 12:16 PM

This user tip might help you understand how accounts work with Address Book.

First check that all your settings are correct, that contact syncing is checked on all devices (system preferences > iCloud on a mac and settings > iCloud on a iPhone, iPad or iPod).

Make sure the contacts you are adding are added to your 'iCloud' group and not an 'On My Mac', 'On My Phone' or other non iCloud group (you can do this by checking in groups), non iCloud contacts will not sync.

If you are sure that everything is set up correctly and your contacts are in the iCloud group, you might try unchecking contact syncing in the iCloud settings, restarting your device and then re-enabling contact syncing.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2012 12:16 PM in response to Zimmer1956

This user tip might help you understand how accounts work with Address Book.

First check that all your settings are correct, that contact syncing is checked on all devices (system preferences > iCloud on a mac and settings > iCloud on a iPhone, iPad or iPod).

Make sure the contacts you are adding are added to your 'iCloud' group and not an 'On My Mac', 'On My Phone' or other non iCloud group (you can do this by checking in groups), non iCloud contacts will not sync.

If you are sure that everything is set up correctly and your contacts are in the iCloud group, you might try unchecking contact syncing in the iCloud settings, restarting your device and then re-enabling contact syncing.

Sep 22, 2012 8:17 AM in response to Winston Churchill

ok, I am also loosing my mind, did not realize till recently how this was working. I Cloud and on my mac. Well I have more in the mac of course, plus I made changes on the i phone. Now they are different and the mac has more. BUt if I do as you suggested then the changes made on my iphone will not sync to the cloud or info will be wrong. I also just realized that my mac address book says default is on my mac, who knew I guess it never changed over before. Now I moved some groups and recreated on the mac to on the cloud and now my iphone has the groups but they do not show up with the names, just a check mark next to them, ho hum with these stuff. All I want is to have it all be the same across devices now I have no clue which is correct, phone mac or cloud, make sense😕

address book on my mac and Cloud question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.