Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Zoom H2n and Garageband on MacBook Pro

Hi,

I just bought the Zoom H2n. I want to use it primary as a handheld recorder, what it is, but I also want to use it as a USB audio interface connecting to Garageband. The first tests are very promising. I have a question though.

When I connect the H2n to my Mac I try to set the input levels to 48 kHz and 24-bit. I do this in Audio/Midi configuration. It seems that the default setting for the H2n are 44,1 kHz and 16-bit and I cannot change that. Even if I change the record settings in the H2n itself to 48 kHz and 24-bit in Audio/Midi Configutation it still reads 44,1 kHz and 16-bit.

The internal mic of my MacBook Pro on the other hand can be set up to 96 kHz and 32-bit.

Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers,

Ivan

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 10:15 AM

3 replies

Jan 17, 2013 11:57 AM in response to AppleMan1958

Hi AppleMan,

Sorry I haven't replied earlier. Congrats on buying the Zoom H2n.

I mainly use the H2n for my guitar lessons. On one hand I record the sessions with my teacher, then I place the H2n in between us and I record in 2CH mode. My guitar on one channel, my teacher on the other. When I just record myself I choose the XY mode.

The recorded sessions I then import in Garageband or Audacity (the latter deals best with the multitrack modes, both 2CH as 4CH). When I record (and film) my guitar homework, I use Final Cut Pro to merge video and audio.

Since I record several times a week I tweaked down the wav-settings to 44,1kHz /16bit. I find it offers the best compromise in sound quality and disk space. Recording in WAV 48kHz / 24 bit filled up my HD far too fast.

I don't know if you already noticed that creation date of the audio files doesn't transfer to the mac. Every single file has 1/1/70 as creation date. I use BatchTouch to add a creation date to the imported files.

Regards and I hope you enjoy the Zoom H2n.

Zoom H2n and Garageband on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.