Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G3 Hard Drive Not Readable

Hello, I recently installed a hard drive from my old windows desktop into my iMac G3. I was wiping the hard drive through firewire with my PowerBook G4 and my computer froze, so I had to hold in the power button. Now the disk isn't readable and I don't know what to do.

- Tyler

iMac, iMac G3 No OS Installed Yet

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 11:08 AM

9 replies

Jun 28, 2012 11:49 AM in response to tyty66

Is this iMac G3 the type with tray-loading optical drive (233-333 Mhz) or does it have a slot-loading optical drive? I guess if it has FireWire, it must be a slot-loader, but I thought I'd confirm.

I was wiping the hard drive through firewire with my PowerBook G4

Does that mean you were using FireWire Target Disk Mode to start up the iMac G3, connected to the PowerBook G4 through FireWire? If so, did you try powering off the iMac G3 (pressing and holding its power button), and then starting it up in FireWire Target Disk Mode again.

It's possible the hard drive from the old windows machine is becoming faulty, which caused the problem. Also, if it is larger than 128GB, it may not work reliably in an iMac G3.

Jun 28, 2012 12:20 PM in response to tyty66

I didn't know there were any hard drives that are exactly 128GB (seems like 120GB is the typical size below 128GB).

You should start it up from a Mac OS X (or maybe Mac OS 9) installation disc, and use Disk Utility to format the hard drive. I figured you were using FireWire Target Disk Mode because you did not have an installation disc to use with the iMac G3, and you were using the PowerBook G4 to install the OS.

If you need additional advice with using an installation disc to start up the iMac G3, and format the hard drive, please post back. It would be helpful to know the version of Mac OS on the installation disc.

If the plan WAS to use the PowerBook G4 to install the OS, you also need to post back with the details about the Mac OS version you plan to use.

Jun 28, 2012 12:30 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

I've tried to format it using Disk Utility through firewire and a Panther install disk, but I always get an error. Im trying to format again now, and I'll see if it gives an error again or not. Before it showed a partition on the Hard Drive, but after my computer froze after partially wiping and formatting it, it was gone and it wouldn't format or wipe.

Jun 28, 2012 12:54 PM in response to tyty66

If it's an old used hard drive, it is likely to be failing (in this case), although it may have worked initially. There is a less likely possibility that there is a problem in the iMac that is making the hard drive not work properly. You could test that possibility by connect the hard drive to your PowerBook G4 (without the iMac G3 as part of the equation). You could do so, using a USB adapter like this one

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NVSPATA/

or by putting it into an external drive case of the matching interface type (IDE not SATA).

NOTE: If your PowerBook G4 has USB 1.1 ports, instead of USB 2.0, it will be slow, but it should still format using Disk Utility (as long as the drive is not faulty).

iMac G3 Hard Drive Not Readable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.