Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to transfer music to my iphone (5.1.1) from itunes (10.6.3)

I just upgraded my computer ( new HD and memory) and i am trying to transfer new music from my macbook to my iphone 3g (running 5.1.1) when I initially opened iTunes it had me upgrade to 10.6.3, now I am unable to drag and drop music onto my iphone like I used to. I have checked manually manage music and videos but when I attempt to apply it, I get the message > The iPhone is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library? An iPhone can be synced with only one iTunes library at a time. Erasing and syncing replaces the contents of this iPhone with the contents of this iTunes library.

As I have just installed a new hard drive and didn't want to transfer over my old info, my drive is empty, if I sync with the contents of my iTunes library, it will erase my phone completely as the HD is new and EMPTY.

Is there anyway around this? I used to be able to drag and drop my music from my hardrive or even straight from iTunes and now nothing happens at all. I'm not sure where the change was made, but is there a way to fix it or get around it?

I am also unable to delete songs from my iphone using itunes. When did this simple process become so complex?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Iphone 3g 5.1.1.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 2:28 PM

5 replies

Jun 28, 2012 2:54 PM in response to kismetj

"

. I have checked manually manage music and videos but when I attempt to apply it, I get the message > The iPhone is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library? An iPhone can be synced with only one iTunes library at a time. Erasing and syncing replaces the contents of this iPhone with the contents of this iTunes library.

"

That is correct. This is how it works.

You need to use your backup copy of your computer to put everything back.

Jun 29, 2012 5:08 PM in response to roaminggnome

I have no problem adding stuff back to my computer, the issue is that I can no longer drag and drop music onto my iphone from itunes. I used to be able to just drag a file over to my iphone and it would be added to my phone. now when i drag an item over it does nothing. it seems like the only way to do this now is to either sync new items or make a playlist. annoying.. 😟 I also didn't want to erase my phone just because i switched computers.. doubly annoying.

Aug 12, 2012 1:27 PM in response to kismetj

Not too sure if you have but make sure your exact and entire library has been imported, including all metadata and random files , not just the individual music files.

To import a library(Make sure you have consolidated your files first):

- Find it: (Usually under My Music)

-Copy over the entire itunes folder

- In itunes, click file, library, import. Locate the library you`ve just copied over (The itunes folder)

- Let itunes do it`s thing

-This will replace your current itunes library(Empty) with the old one(Including your songs and such)

After you`ve imported your library, Try these things:

- make sure your computer is authorized for the new content (Under store, click authorize this computer)

- if you have jailbroken, try restoring (Make sure to backup before trying this)

If it still says that it will erase your files, your library is either corrupt or incorrectly transferred.

If this is the case, it is rather inconvenient.

- Backup everything to icloud (Contacts, Mail etc.)

- Transfer all purchases to itunes

- Let itunes deleteeverything and re sync. (Make sure everything is backed up and that all your files are in itunes)

Unable to transfer music to my iphone (5.1.1) from itunes (10.6.3)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.