Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding fonts to Mail?

Right now I only have a few fonts showing up in Mail - some Helvetica, Monaco, Osaka and Verdana.

I was wondering, how can I add some more fonts, and which fonts are pretty much assured to be fonts most Mac and Windows recipients would have?

Thanks,

doug

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 5:55 PM

43 replies

Jun 28, 2012 7:37 PM in response to Linc Davis

I had not validated fonts in Font Book.

Anyway, I just (1) turned on automatic font validation and for good measure (2) manually validated Cambria (and got a success dialog that the family of Cambria fonts had been validated).

Then I quit and re-opened Mail, but Cambria still does not appear as one of the available fonts.

In TextEdit the other fonts don't appear in the default font selection window either, but there is an "All Fonts" item which displays all the rest of them.

But Mail doesn't seem to have an "All Fonts" item.

doug

Jun 29, 2012 8:05 AM in response to Doug Lerner2

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It won’t solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Third-party system modifications are a common cause of usability problems. By a “system modification,” I mean software that affects the operation of other software — potentially for the worse. The following procedure will help identify which such modifications you've installed. Don’t be alarmed by the complexity of these instructions — they’re easy to carry out and won’t change anything on your Mac.

These steps are to be taken while booted in “normal” mode, not in safe mode. If you’re now running in safe mode, reboot as usual before continuing.

Below are instructions to enter some UNIX shell commands. The commands are harmless, but they must be entered exactly as given in order to work. If you have doubts about the safety of the procedure suggested here, search this site for other discussions in which it’s been followed without any report of ill effects.

Some of the commands will line-wrap or scroll in your browser, but each one is really just a single line, all of which must be selected. You can accomplish this easily by triple-clicking anywhere in the line. The whole line will highlight, and you can then either copy or drag it. The headings “Step 1” and so on are not part of the commands.

Note: If you have more than one user account, Step 2 must be taken as an administrator. Ordinarily that would be the user created automatically when you booted the system for the first time. The other steps should be taken as the user who has the problem, if different. Most personal Macs have only one user, and in that case this paragraph doesn’t apply.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

When you launch Terminal, a text window will open with a line already in it, ending either in a dollar sign (“$”) or a percent sign (“%”). If you get the percent sign, enter “sh” (without the quotes) and press return. You should then get a new line ending in a dollar sign.

Step 1

Copy or drag — do not type — the line below into the Terminal window, then press return:

kextstat -kl | awk '!/com\.apple/{printf "%s %s\n", $6, $7}'

Post the lines of output (if any) that appear below what you just entered (the text, please, not a screenshot.) You can omit the final line ending in “$”.

Step 2

Repeat with this line:

sudo launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.(apple|openssh|vix)|edu\.mit|org\.(amavis|apache|cups|isc|ntp|postfix|x)/{print $3}'

This time, you'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up. You don't need to post the warning.

Note: If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before taking this step. If that’s not possible, skip to the next step.

Step 3

launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.apple|edu\.mit|org\.(x|openbsd)/{print $3}'

Step 4

ls -1A /e*/mach* {,/}L*/{Ad,Compon,Ex,Fram,In,Keyb,La,Mail/Bu,P*P,Priv,Qu,Scripti,Servi,Spo,Sta}* L*/Fonts 2> /dev/null

Important: If you synchronize with a MobileMe account, your me.com email address may appear in the output of the above command. If so, anonymize it before posting.

Step 5

osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to get name of every login item' 2> /dev/null

Remember, steps 1-5 are all drag-and-drop or copy-and-paste, whichever you prefer — no typing, except your password. Also remember to post the output.

You can then quit Terminal.

Jun 29, 2012 4:37 PM in response to Linc Davis

Before falling asleep I just skimmed your note and it looked a lot longer than it really was because I didn't notice most of the instructions were just how to use the terminal. :

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It won’t solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

OK. I have geared myself for the disappointment.

kextstat -kl | awk '!/com\.apple/{printf "%s %s\n", $6, $7}'

com.AmbrosiaSW.AudioSupport (4.0)

com.logmein.driver.LogMeInSoundDriver (1.0.0)

net.telestream.driver.TelestreamAudio (1.0.5)

org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv (4.0.8)

org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB (4.0.8)

org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt (4.0.8)

com.parallels.kext.prl_usb_connect (7.0

org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp (4.0.8)

com.parallels.kext.prl_hypervisor (7.0

com.parallels.kext.prl_hid_hook (7.0

com.parallels.kext.prl_netbridge (7.0

com.parallels.kext.prl_vnic (7.0

Note: I recognize all of those except for telestream and virtualbox.

sudo launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.(apple|openssh|vix)|edu\.mit|org\.(amavis|apache|cups|isc|ntp|postfix|x)/{print $3}'

com.google.keystone.daemon

com.parallels.vm.prl_naptd

com.parallels.desktop.launchdaemon

com.logmein.raupdate

com.logmein.logmeinserver

com.bombich.ccc.scheduledtask.08C53D2B-3453-49B7-BD43-1128FE8AED33

com.bombich.ccc

com.barebones.bbedit

com.adobe.versioncueCS4

Note: A separate issue, but Adobe is driving me crazy asking to upgrade the same Adobe reader app every day.

launchctl list | sed 1d | awk '!/0x|com\.apple|edu\.mit|org\.(x|openbsd)/{print $3}'

com.google.keystone.system.agent

com.parallels.vm.prl_pcproxy

com.parallels.DesktopControlAgent

com.parallels.desktop.client.launch

com.logmein.logmeinguiagent

com.logmein.logmeingui

com.adobe.CS4ServiceManager

ws.agile.1PasswordAgent

com.adobe.ARM.776baf8b6e2be802959930bcaa8f4759ea56201f7a67fd844c5543f7

com.adobe.ARM.369c1432b4b6691558f86576f7ef356fbe52e8142b798c94f5922279

com.adobe.ARM.066e9f41ee9d292e1e1618e48b7f4d61c736c39d6b8852a474bf3d72

ls -1A /e*/mach* {,/}L*/{Ad,Compon,Ex,Fram,In,Keyb,La,Mail/Bu,P*P,Priv,Qu,Scripti,Servi,Spo,Sta}* L*/Fonts 2> /dev/null

/Library/Components:

/Library/Extensions:

VBoxDrv.kext

VBoxNetAdp.kext

VBoxNetFlt.kext

VBoxUSB.kext

/Library/Frameworks:

.DS_Store

AEProfiling.framework

AERegistration.framework

Adobe AIR.framework

AudioMixEngine.framework

DivX Toolkit.framework

EWSMac.framework

GlimsAdditions.framework

HPDeviceModel.framework

HPPml.framework

HPServicesInterface.framework

HPSmartPrint.framework

MacFUSE.framework

NyxAudioAnalysis.framework

PluginManager.framework

iLifeFaceRecognition.framework

iLifeKit.framework

iLifePageLayout.framework

iLifeSQLAccess.framework

iLifeSlideshow.framework

/Library/Input Methods:

/Library/InputManagers:

Ecamm

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins:

AdobePDFViewer.plugin

DivXBrowserPlugin.plugin

Flash Player.plugin

Google Earth Web Plug-in.plugin

JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

LogMeIn.plugin

LogMeInSafari32.plugin

LogMeInSafari64.plugin

OfficeLiveBrowserPlugin.plugin

Quartz Composer.webplugin

QuickTime Plugin.plugin

Silverlight.plugin

flashplayer.xpt

googletalkbrowserplugin.plugin

iPhotoPhotocast.plugin

npContributeMac.bundle

npdivx.xpt

npgtpo3dautoplugin.plugin

nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt

/Library/Keyboard Layouts:

/Library/LaunchAgents:

com.adobe.CS4ServiceManager.plist

com.google.keystone.agent.plist

com.logmein.logmeingui.plist

com.logmein.logmeinguiagent.plist

com.logmein.logmeinguiagentatlogin.plist

com.parallels.DesktopControlAgent.plist

com.parallels.desktop.launch.plist

com.parallels.vm.prl_pcproxy.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons:

com.adobe.versioncueCS4.plist

com.apple.remotepairtool.plist

com.barebones.bbedit.plist

com.bombich.ccc.plist

com.bombich.ccc.scheduledtask.08C53D2B-3453-49B7-BD43-1128FE8AED33.plist

com.bombich.ccc.scheduledtask.2BFBC83C-A5A4-447A-91C5-9028C1AF32D7.plist

com.bombich.ccc.scheduledtask.DBE26A69-046E-469B-8083-0E4005BF16BF.plist

com.google.keystone.daemon.plist

com.logmein.logmeinserver.plist

com.logmein.raupdate.plist

com.parallels.desktop.launchdaemon.plist

/Library/PreferencePanes:

DivX.prefPane

Flash Player.prefPane

MacFUSE.prefPane

VersionCueCS4.prefPane

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools:

Google Drive Icon Helper

com.barebones.bbedit

com.bombich.ccc

/Library/QuickLook:

GBQLGenerator.qlgenerator

iWork.qlgenerator

/Library/QuickTime:

AppleIntermediateCodec.component

AppleMPEG2Codec.component

DivX Decoder.component

DivX Encoder.component

SoundboothScoreCodec.component

/Library/ScriptingAdditions:

Adobe Unit Types.osax

/Library/Spotlight:

GBSpotlightImporter.mdimporter

LogicPro.mdimporter

Microsoft Entourage.mdimporter

Microsoft Office.mdimporter

iWeb.mdimporter

iWork.mdimporter

/Library/StartupItems:

Jaksta

MySQLCOM

ParallelsTransporter

VirtualBox

tap

tun

/etc/mach_init.d:

/etc/mach_init_per_login_session.d:

/etc/mach_init_per_user.d:

osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to get name of every login item' 2> /dev/null

Growl, GrowlHelperApp, Snapz Pro X, Skype, GrowlHelperApp, Adium, iChat, iTunesHelper, SpeechSynthesisServer, OpenTerminal, EvernoteHelper, LogMeIn, Google Drive, Dropbox

doug

Adding fonts to Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.