Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes File Management

From http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1347"...

iTunes adds entries in your iTunes library for the selected files, and copies the files to your iTunes Music folder (if you have that option selected in the Advanced pane of iTunes preferences)."

So if I have an mp3 in my Documents folder, when iTunes copies over to my iTunes folder, do I now have two copies of that file on my hardrive?

Thanks.

Mac OS X (10.7.3), 8 GB Memory

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 7:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 9:06 PM

You do if you have checked "Copy files to iTYunes Media dfolder when addingb to library" in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced.

To see which file iTuines is using, select a song and type Command+Shift+R to reveal the file in the Finder.

3 replies

Jun 28, 2012 11:54 PM in response to ramonekalsaw

You should make all you moves from within the iTunes interface. Never in the Finder. iTunes could lose the link. iTunes is a data base manager. If moves are made outside of the iTunes interface then the move might not have been recognized.

I have always use the iTunes prefs>Advanced>copy and keep options since these became available and have rarely 'lost' an association.

If I have files on the Desktop, I use iTunes to copy them into iTunes and then delete the Desktop copy so I don't have dups. You can drag into iTunes or use File>Add to Library option to get files into iTunes.

MJ

iTunes File Management

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.