Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to play Sculpture using my Roland GR-55 synth?

I'm connecting the CakeWalk UM-1G MIDI USB Interface to connect my Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth to Logic Pro 9.1.7 with the purpose of controlling or being able to access the sound capabilities of Sculpture and record them as audio tracks. Can anyone share their wisdom on how I might make this possible?

Logic Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 9:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 6:31 AM

I guess you'd probably need to install a Mac OS driver from here -

http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=1148#.T-2rhduF-IB

so you can select an input in Logic, other than that setup doesn't differ much from using a MDI keyboard. I don't know how well MIDI guitar controllers work these days - thay used to produce a lot of spurious notes, which had to be filtered out below a certain velocity or deleted after recording, but my one time experience was quite some time ago; you may get some more experienced user advice with a bit of luck, though the forum seems to be a bit sparse these days. A post on LogicProHelp might yield results also, if you need any more help.

And you'll need to record a MIDI track first, which can then be bounced, if you want an audio file.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2012 6:31 AM in response to tylerfromnt

I guess you'd probably need to install a Mac OS driver from here -

http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=1148#.T-2rhduF-IB

so you can select an input in Logic, other than that setup doesn't differ much from using a MDI keyboard. I don't know how well MIDI guitar controllers work these days - thay used to produce a lot of spurious notes, which had to be filtered out below a certain velocity or deleted after recording, but my one time experience was quite some time ago; you may get some more experienced user advice with a bit of luck, though the forum seems to be a bit sparse these days. A post on LogicProHelp might yield results also, if you need any more help.

And you'll need to record a MIDI track first, which can then be bounced, if you want an audio file.

Jun 29, 2012 7:17 AM in response to chorleyman

Thanks Chorley,

Your advice was insightful. The key was to go online, download and install the GR-55 Driver for OS X Lion. After that, I was instantly up and running. The connection runs quite seemlessly and the hardware/software are talking to each other like old friends. The USB connectivity sends and receives both audio and midi signals. This opens a whole new chapter in composing for me.

Is it possible to play Sculpture using my Roland GR-55 synth?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.