Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Sync HD 1080p to iPhone 4S

What gives? I just purchased four seasons of Breaking Bad in 1080p HD from the iTunes Store and it won't sync to my iPhone 4S.

I'm also quite annoyed that it won't play on my Apple Cinema Display monitor, but that's a separate issue. When experienced together, however, they make for some pretty maddening moments.

Thanks.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 10:16 PM

5 replies

Jul 2, 2012 11:06 AM in response to wjosten

Thanks. I went to an Apple Store yesterday and they thought it should work too, but then we found the same support article. Even then, they didn't know how to get the show on my phone because when I purchased the shows it only downloaded the 1080p version.

We tried "Download Previous Purchases" (found below the list when Purchased is selected from the playlists on the left) but that said all my titles have been downloaded. It turns out, you have to click "Configure Automatic Downloads," (found to the left of "Download Previous Purchases") then choose 720p from "When downloading High Definition videos, prefer:" That will allow you to download a 720p version of the same titles without removing the 1080p version. I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that it used to download both versions automatically.

You can also download the appropriate HD versions directly to the iOS device without syncing to the computer. See this article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2519

Oct 22, 2012 2:17 AM in response to Greg Parks

Although the screen resolution isn't up to 1080p, the iPhone (3GS, 4, 4S), iPod touch (> 2nd Gen) and iPad are all capable of decoding 1080p content (as long as the profile isn't too high). I know this because whenever I use Handbrake to rip a bluray at 1080p, it works fine on all of my devices. iTunes will even stream them over home sharing.

However, all of this falls down if you flag a video file as HD 1080p. I found that when I was opening my rips with Subler (to add artwork and metadata), they would no longer be visible in my shared library via my iDevices, only AppleTV 3. This was happening because Subler was setting the HD flag to 1080p. I found that changing this in Subler to 720p or None, resulted in the rips re-appearing in the library.

So, this is not a device limitation, it is iTunes being restrictive. iTunes shouldn't restrict based on video resolution, it should restrict on the encoding profile.

I've never tried opening a purchased movie with Subler but, if you can, try re-flagging your content as 720p and see if you can now sync your 1080p content. Don't worry, it's only a metadata flag that you're changing, it won't change the resolution of the movie.

Can't Sync HD 1080p to iPhone 4S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.