Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match still downloading on 3G even if told not to

The past few months I've gotten warnings from AT&T that I was near or exceeding my data plan limits when I never did before. After a lot of testing it seems that on my iPhone, iTunes Match still downloads data—megabytes worth—even if I have the "download over 3g" setting turned off. I've had to turn off iTunes Match on my iPhone totally and rely on "old-fashioned" syncing unless I want to upgrade to the bigger data plans, which I'm not going to do. Sigh! Anyone else notice this? The behavior persists over several erase-and-restores of the phone.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 10:20 PM

3 replies

Jun 29, 2012 2:26 PM in response to Matthew McAlister

I've done more testing. Apparently it happens to me in the particular case of activating iTunes Match after having synced songs via iTunes previously. I do this to cut the time involved—sync songs via iTunes, then turn on Match. Today I erased my iPhone and set it up as a whole new iPhone (not from a backup), and then turned on iTunes Match on an empty music library. With this setup it works as advertised: no megabyte-sized downloads a minute on my cellular usage. I'm not sure if the erase-and-setup-as-new was a factor, but Match is now behaving itself over 3G.

iTunes Match still downloading on 3G even if told not to

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.