Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I check if I got any malware on my computer?

my website gave me a warning that I could have malware and it is advised to no view it, so since I have been updating my website recently I'm affraid that I could have gotten some malware on my mac. How do I check if there is malware on my mac?

MacBook Pro, how to check for malware

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 4:11 AM

7 replies

Jun 29, 2012 8:28 AM in response to varjak paw

I don't think I explained myself correctly. I went to my website to see updates and instead of seeing my website's homepage there was a dark gray background and a pop up windo came up within my browser saying that the it detected malware on the site and advised to not view it. I can't see the message anymore, so I can't say exactly where it came from. I don't know if it was generated by my safari browser or my mac or what. the message said for more information on malware to go to some long malware address which I can't remeber and I did not click on. I just quit my browser window and re-opened it again. I then cleared my history and went to my website again and it was fine, with no warnings or anything but of course now I'm paranoid.

So then I went to google analytics and a ran a malware check on the website to see if google found any malware code inserted in my websites code (it has detected it on other websites before) and it said that there was nothing malicious detected.

So My question is. How do I do a virus check on my Mac to make sure there is no malware now on my computer.

I'm hopeing that this error on the browser was just a quark that happen after I clicked the back button several times when I went to my website because I was trying to errase something on another application...

Jun 29, 2012 8:47 AM in response to TexMexClau

If you mean this message:

User uploaded file

and it didn't reappear after a browser refresh, then it's almost certain that it was an erroneous message from Google's Safe Browsing system, something which is not uncommon. If your web site is running on a Mac, the chances of it having malware are very small, their being only a handful of trojan-horse programs and no confirmed viruses nor worms, and ClamXav mentioned above should be able to detect those few trojans that do exist.

Regards.

Jun 29, 2012 10:22 AM in response to varjak paw

YES that was the one!! good to know that it is most likely an erroneous mesage. I update my website from my Mac but the site is hosted on another server. I'm not sure what platform they use. I have contacted them to check on their is anything wrong going on on thier server.

So for extra safty buy norton for Macs? Or does apple provide a software to check the system from viruses?

Thanks for you help!

Jun 29, 2012 10:36 AM in response to TexMexClau

If problems reoccur, you will need to talk to your site host, as it would be their servers that are being flagged in Google's database as containing malware. Many such reports are erroneous, but it would be something your host would have to address.

As to your system, again, there have never been any viruses or worms on Mac OS X, and only a few trojans, most of which Apple blocks from installing in Mac OS X 10.6 and later. So I definitely do not recommend installing Norton or any of the other commercial antivirus applications; most such applications, particularly those that have a constant automatic scanning feature, just cause problems. ClamXav should be all you would need, should you really feel the need.

Regards.

Jun 29, 2012 3:15 PM in response to varjak paw

varjak paw wrote:

As to your system, again, there have never been any viruses or worms on Mac OS X, and only a few trojans, most of which Apple blocks from installing in Mac OS X 10.6 and later. So I definitely do not recommend installing Norton or any of the other commercial antivirus applications...

Flashback has evolved beyond the simple trojan stage into "drive by" malware that doesn't require a user to do anything besides visit an infected site. (The Java vulnerability that makes this possible has been patched in recent security updates, but it is no longer strictly true that only trojans exist in the wild for OS X.)

Plus, since this Mac is being used to upload files to a web site, it is worth considering using AV software on it to detect & remove Windows malware that might be uploaded to the site, triggering a warning like above for users that visit it.

Norton doesn't have a good track record with OS X but a few other commercial AV apps are worth considering. I use Sophos Home Edition for Macs & have had no problems with it.

See Mac Malware Guide : Do I need anti-virus software? for an overview of the subject.

how do I check if I got any malware on my computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.