Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does error code -36 mean?

I have a folder that was transferred from my previous computer, and when I try to delete it, it reads that there are 40 items in the folder, but I can't see them. When I try to delete it in the trash, a pop up states that I cannot continue because the files cannot be read or written (error code -36). I just want to delete this folder off of my computer because I have no idea what is going on.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011)

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 8:23 AM

12 replies

Jun 29, 2012 12:28 PM in response to chellingtons

May I chirp in? Hello Chellingtons; when an item is in the trash, you cannot open it. I suggest drag it to desktop and double-click on it, then see what is shown (a window should open). If it does show things, I suggest then drag to trash the items individually instead of the entire folder at once.

I also suggest you do as Linc Davis asks and give more information to the masters!

Jul 3, 2012 2:50 PM in response to chellingtons

Back up all data now, as your drive may be failing.

Boot from your installation disc. Launch Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Select the startup volume, then click Repair Disk. If any problems are found, repeat.

Most likely, this step won't solve the problem. In that case, make another full backup to a different external hard drive, then erase the volume and restore from one of your backups.

Jul 3, 2012 3:31 PM in response to chellingtons

I have never seen LincDavis be wrong- he is a Master. But without intending offense to him, I hope he is about this.. failing drives are the least fun in computerdom that I have suffered through... other than bad logic boards anyway.

I see the gear at the bottom of the latest screenshot, and wonder what does it offer if you click on it- some actions..maybe even delete... cursor on it, click and hold for menu to pop up

Nov 2, 2015 5:51 AM in response to BB623

I was copying about 7 files from one drive to another creating backups. I dragged them one at a time to the new drive and still kept getting the -36 error message. Then I decided to copy each file, let it finish, then copy the next file, let it finish, etc. This finally worked and the computer copied to files no problem. Don't know why this worked, but it did, and I hope it helps you.

Patrice

What does error code -36 mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.