Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't change fonts in iBooks for books made with iBooks Author

When I created a book in iBooks Author then imported it into iBooks on my iPad I find that I cannot change the font size. In fact the change font size icon does not show up on the toolbar in iBooks. Anyone have an answer?

27" iMac-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 2:53 PM

Same Problem. I could scroll vertically in iBooks this morning and now I can't. My font button is gone, replaced by the brightness button. What could I have done to make this happen? It seems every time I touch something on this thing it screws something else up.

13 replies

Feb 18, 2017 4:32 AM in response to Lyle Phillips

I believe those who said you can't change the font on books created with iBooks Author are correct. I was able to work around it by using Zoom in landscape mode and sizing the magnification to the screen size.

• To turn on Zoom, use three fingers and double-tap the screen. To increase the level of Zoom, use three fingers to double-tap and hold, then move your fingers up or down on the screen to increase or decrease magnification.
  • To see the bottom of the page, scroll with three fingers
  • You can't turn the page when it is in Zoom mode, so you have to turn off Zoom by double tapping with three fingers, turn the page, and then turn Zoom back on.

Jul 2, 2012 6:59 AM in response to Lyle Phillips

I don't think that there is anything wrong with your iBooks app. I think that you're expecting a feature that does not exist. There is no way to change the font size in iBooks on your iPad when reading a book created in iBooks Author.

If the book that you are creating does not need interactive elements and image boxes/callouts then you should consider using the Pages application from iWorks to write your text based book and export to ePub to get the end user experience that you're looking for. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4168

More explanation:

When you buy an ePub file from the iBookstore you get a book that has a page curl when you turn pages and you get the ability to change the font and font size as a reader of the book.

iBooks Author books are not the same file format as standard ePub books found elsewhere on the iBookstore. These .ibooks files are formatted for the screen size of an iPad and intended to be layout specific preserving placement like a textbook requires. Changing the font or font size on the fly would reflow the text and cause the alignment of the text to the images and widget built into the book to change.

Jul 2, 2012 3:47 PM in response to Daryl Hawes

Daryl Hawes wrote:

I don't think that there is anything wrong with your iBooks app. I think that you're expecting a feature that does not exist. There is no way to change the font size in iBooks on your iPad when reading a book created in iBooks Author.

Not so: if the book supports portrait mode, you can change font size while in portrait mode. (Landscape mode does not permit change of font size.)

Michi.

Feb 3, 2013 10:46 AM in response to moverfrizz

The ability for the reader to change the font size in an ibook created with IBA only works if the book is one that was designed to be viewed landscape or portrait (like all the templates available with iBooks 1). However, with the new portrait templates in ibooks 2, that feature is not availble. In other words, an ibook designed with a portrait-only tempalte will not provide the user with the ability to change font size.

So, if you really want you readers to be able to change font size, you need to use a landscape template and design it as a portrait book However, since you won't be able to disable the landscape view, you'd have to have a notice at the beginning (e.g. the intro media) to let them know to rotate their ipad so they can change font size.

Can't change fonts in iBooks for books made with iBooks Author

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.