Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to backup Newsstand issues

I like to have a backup of my files so that I dont have to redownload everything on a new device. That's why I always buy all my apps, music, books on iTunes on a PC and then sync that to a device.

So for the moment I have been able to keep a copy of my apps, music, book purchases on my PC. My problem is with Newsstand issues. Since they are in-app purchases and the magazines are downloaded on the device, I dont have a copy of them on my PC.

How can I extract or keep a copy of my Newsstand issues on my PC? I think this is important because each issue is quite large like 500MB and you cant always redownload them fast enough. And imagine if your device is full and you want to delete an issue but keep a copy on a drive.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 10:56 AM

7 replies

Jul 26, 2012 8:22 PM in response to Dralibah

an update should not erase the content. Do you back it up/sync it before you do the update? Sync/do the backup, update teh software, then the ipad will be restored from that backup and be like it was before.

The inability to backup/store files locally is likely an anti-piracy measure. Or at least i'm sure that was a thought. Kinda hard to illegally pirate copies of a magazine if you can't ever get them off your device.

Jul 26, 2012 8:32 PM in response to Skydiver119

When you backup with itunes on your drive, it does not contain your magazine issues.

The anti-piracy argument doesn't work because all of the books and comics that you buy on itunes are downloaded localy to your hard drive and you have a copy. They can DRM protect the issues.

Actually this is the reason that I dont buy from amazon kindle anymore and buy my books on itunes so that I can have a copy on my drive.

How to backup Newsstand issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.