Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my mac mini is slowing, spinning ball more frequent than in the past, do I have virus or malware?

my mac mini is slowing, spinning ball more frequent than in the past, how do I check for virus or malware?

Mac mini

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 11:43 AM

5 replies

Jun 29, 2012 12:07 PM in response to paulgw

Hello Paul,

Least likely is Malware.

Check the S.M.A.R.T. status of the drive in Disk Utilty by highlighting the Drive & looking at the bottom of the window.

Open Activity Monitor in Applications>Utilities, select All Processes & sort on CPU%, any indications there?

How much RAM & free space do you have also, click on the Memory & Disk Usage Tabs.

In the Memory tab, are there a lot of Pageouts?

User uploaded file

Jul 2, 2012 9:17 AM in response to BGreg

sorry I am long in getting back to your reply. Office computer and I was not in the office this weekend.

This is a Mac Mini 2 Ghz Intel core Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM, 4MB L2 cache, external 250GB USB drive

At test time running Acrobat, Firefox, iPhoto, Utilites

Results of memory, CPU and disc stats

System Memory - Free 168.8MB, Wired 260MB, Active 1.16GB, Inactive 430.8MB, Used 1.84GB, VM size 176.55 GB, Page ins 4.75GB, Page outs 2.86GB, Swap used 1.65GB

Disk usage Utilized 52.42GB Free 67.27GB

CPU% use Top users - Activity monitor root 6.7%, Firefox 0.6%, Acrobat 0.4 over course these %'s change as you look at them

Jul 2, 2012 10:28 AM in response to paulgw

Right off the bat, looking at your page outs tells me you don't have enough memory for the tasks you run. OS X writes the contents of memory to the hard drive when it needs to free up space to run something else. Too much of this can impact performance. Guideline is that page outs should be no more than 10% to 15% of page ins. Yours is 60%.

my mac mini is slowing, spinning ball more frequent than in the past, do I have virus or malware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.