Skip navigation

Using 1 domain, need to have web host on one server, VPN on another server.  Easy?

302 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2012 10:42 PM by Camelot RSS
Zero Six Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 29, 2012 12:18 PM

We have two servers, both are mac servers, both Lion.  One is in California the other in Illinois.  We want to use the one in Illinois for our VPN and the one in California for our website.  This is for a variety of reasons, but it needs to be setup this way.   We'd like to have them both use the same domain.  How difficult would this be to setup?  It's been a while since I have touched Mac OS X Server

Ideally it would be like this:

Calif server: web and ftp

Illinois server: vpn, ichat, ical, mail, address book, ssh, etc

Thoughts on this?

Ultimately we can use another domain for the illinois server if needed, but that would be worst case scenario.

• Camelot Level 8 Level 8 (45,670 points)

This is trivial.

Set up your DNS:

www.yourdomain.com - IP address in California

ftp.yourdomain.com - IP address in California

vpn.yourdomain.com - IP address in Illinois

ichat.yourdomain.com - IP address in Illinois

... etc.

See, It's just DNS - setup your DNS to give each service its own hostname, with an address that maps to the appropriate location. There's no relationship between DNS/hostnames and physical location. Unless I'm missing something...?

I'm not sure what you're saying... these are not subdomains. They are simple hostnames within the 'yourdomain.com' domain.

A subdomain would be something like 'california.mydomain.com' where you could have hostnames such as 'www.california.subdomain.com', 'ftp.california.subdomain.com', etc.

If you're saying you don't even want to use hostnames, well, then, yes you have a problem. You can't have specific services on the same hostname go to two different places. The only thing you might be able to do is have all the traffic to go one site and proxy it, or route it over some internal network to the other site, but that adds a layer of complexity that you might not want to deal with.

• coocooforcocoapuffs Level 3 Level 3 (845 points)

or route it over some internal network to the other site, but that adds a layer of complexity that you might not want to deal with.

I am setting up two servers as well, but both will be in the same office, and I was thinking of doing the latter: having one box on the internet and the other internal, and have them be able to talk and see each other with things like Open Directory... but now I am starting to think that's not so smart as it appears to me Lion is DNS driven. But have you heard of folks doing this? And if so, can I get that blueprint ?

I'm not sure why you think this setup is a) difficult, or b) relates to the original post. It seems like a completely different setup to me... in fact it just sounds like a perfectly normal situation with multiple servers in a LAN, only some of which are exposed to external traffic. What do you think is difficult about that?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.