Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone's home button stopped working. Shortly later, the iPhone stopped turning on

That's basically it. I've tried charging it, plugging it into the computer, etc. and nothing has worked. I've heard about putting it into DFU and recovery modes but I can't do either since the home button stopped working. Is my phone dead or is there anything else I can try?

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 1:16 PM

9 replies

Aug 15, 2012 3:07 PM in response to harmlessgoat22

There is nothing else you can do. If the home button does not work it is a 100% harware issue and the device needs to be serviced. If you are within your 1 year limited warranty and there is no physical/liquid damage Apple will replace the device. If you are out of your 1 year limited warranty you can get an out of warranty replacement through AppleCare or the Apple Retail Store for $149

Aug 15, 2012 3:47 PM in response to harmlessgoat22

Why do half of you bother answering when you didn't even take the time to read the title of this post? I can't do anything with recovery/DFU mode since I don't have a working home button. To account for the lack of home button, I had turned on assistive touch, but that doesn't do anything when my phone is off (which is the real problem).

I decided to just shell out $400 to buy an iPhone 4s but I wish I had looked into out of warranty replacement. Thanks for suggesting that, merrillmonster! If something like that happens in the future, I'll look into it! I was stupid and went with the AT&T trade in thing where I got $30 for turning in my broken phone...probably should've thought about that one a little more haha.

My iPhone's home button stopped working. Shortly later, the iPhone stopped turning on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.