Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

extend wireless

I would like to use my Netgear Wireless as my "base station" and then use the time capsule to extend the wireless network. However, when I try to do this, I get a message saying that this cannot be done.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 1:17 PM

3 replies

Jun 29, 2012 1:29 PM in response to ozanne

Sorry, but Apple designed the "Extend" feature to only work among Apple devices.

If you are trying to "extend" using wireless only, there is almost zero chance that the Time Capsule would be compatible with a Netgear product for this purpose.

You can configure the Time Capsule to provide more wireless coverage by connecting to the Netgear router using a wired Ethernet connection.

Jun 29, 2012 8:48 PM in response to ozanne

I have Netgear N600 DGND3700v2. Set it up as Modem Router Wireless Dual band.

I reset time capsule, opened Airport utility and asked it to extend a wireless network.

Time capsule saw both channels of the network and I was able to join and extend very easily.

Did the same with an airport extreme and two of the airport express devices, and one apple tv.

I believe some modern wireless modems are compatible with the apple chosen format and will be extended

with ease, I know this one was.

extend wireless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.