Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't enable Hotspot since upgrading to 5.1.1

Hi I bought my iPhone 4S sim free and unlocked from Apple in January this year. I have previously used the personal hotspot on IOS 5.0, however I don't use it much as I have a 3G pocket hotspot. A month or so ago I upgraded to 5.1.1, today I had a need to enable my Hotspot and I find I cannot turn it on.

When I select "Set Up Personal Hotspot" I get a message saying ....

"To enable Personal Hotspot on this account visit http://www.vodafone.co.uk/help/iphone"

While the carrier is shown as Vodafone I am actually with BT Mobile who is an MVNO using Vodafone's network. So I can't sort it out with Vodafone because my account is not with them. The phone should not have any restrictions on it as I bought it outright, and this is something that has changed between IOS 5.0 and 5.1 because I have used this in the past.

Can someone tell me how to enable this feature, because while I don't use it very often I do use it.

Kind Regards

Plasma

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 3:37 PM

2 replies

Jun 29, 2012 4:34 PM in response to _Plasma_

That sounds frustrating!

I have a similar setup: I'm on an unlocked, Apple-purchased iPhone 4S on Virgin Mobile, a MVNO in Canada operating under Bell's network. I have a plan that allows me to use Personal Hotspot, and it works fine for me. When I put in my SIM card on my iPhone 4S, the carrier says "Bell" for a bit but then switches to "Virgin"...you mention that your phone just says "Vodafone".

Things to try:

• Check that your plan includes tethering. Not all plans do, which could result in Personal Hotspot not working.

• Check that your carrier is compatible with iPhone and supports Personal Hotspot. Not all carriers are compatible with both. See the list of Carriers here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

• Try selecting different options under Settings>Carrier

• If nothing works, try asking your carrier or calling AppleCare.

• ***For those that don't know, an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) is a phone provider that sells phone service on another network that they don't actually own. They are either a subsidiary of the owner or have an agreement with the owner to use the network and sell service on it under a different brand name.

I hope this answers your question, or at least helps.

<Link Edited By Host>

Can't enable Hotspot since upgrading to 5.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.