Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New macbook pro 2012 preinstalled with lion can't be reinstalled?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to mac os x and I just bought a new macbook pro 13" four days ago which came preinstalled with mac os x lion. I tried to do a clean install on the third day to experience doing it myself for the first time. here's what I did:

1st try

@DU I perform erase Macintosh HD, set the partition table to GUID, partitioned the drive,

exit DU and then selected reinstall mac os x from the mac os x utilities,

I just clicked continue, continue, then it did some eligibility checking and verification.

after a while the dialog window showed this message " This version of Mac OS X 10.7 cannot be installed on this computer."

there's no other option below than quit.

2nd try

restarted macbook then pressed down option+command+r

the globe logo came out. I connected to my home wifi and a progress bar indicator came out. after the progress bar completed, the Mac os x utilities came out.

I selected reinstall mac os x from the mac ox x util. I clicked on continue, continue.. an eligibility and verification followed and after a while I got the same message saying "This version of Mac OS X 10.7 cannot be installed on this computer."

3rd try

I restarted macbook again and pressed down option+command+r

I did the steps from the 1st try again but I still get the same message "This version of Mac OS X 10.7 cannot be installed on this computer."

Can anyone help me out on how to reinstall Lion? or did I missed out anything? or should I send this macbook for repair? or just return it?

appreciate any advice...thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 5:36 PM

4 replies

Jun 29, 2012 6:15 PM in response to user_Kent

Yeah Apple has created a newer version of Lion OS X for the new Mid 2012 Macs as they need different drivers then all older models of any Mac. So it would seem Apple has not updated the Lion download servers to iniclude this newer version for newer Macs. Your only option it to take it to an Apple store and have them reinstall the OS or return it for another (or return it for full refund and buy something that you are use to and works).

Then if you want to try this again first use one of the Cloning software programs, Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, to Clone the drive to an external before you strat this process again.

Jun 29, 2012 7:28 PM in response to user_Kent

I remember something similar happening when OS X Lion was first released. At that time, the mid-2011 MacBook Air hit the store shelves and many users could not do a full reinstall from the Apple Servers. The reason, was that the MacBook Air had a specialized version of OS X Lion with a build number that has 4 numbers (i.e. build 11AXXXX) following the OS release number. In contrast, the release version of OS X at the time was 11A511 which uses 2 or 3 numbers and is a universal version of OS X that can be used by any Mac. The reason why you are experiencing problems installing OS X Lion is because you got the newest MacBook Pro which has a specialized build of OS X Lion and as in previous cases, it has 4 numbers meaning that it is a specialized version of OS X.

You appear to be running the following version of OS X Lion:

User uploaded file

As you can see, it's an exclusive and optimized version of OS X for your MacBook. Your only hope is that Apple releases the OS X 10.7.5 release which most likely be universal with all Macs.

I suggest going to the Genius Bar to sort things out.

Hope my little explanation helps.

To Learn More about OS X versions visit:

Mac OS X versions (builds) for computers

Jul 24, 2012 9:26 PM in response to ashish81sharma

@sharma, you need to call tech support to log the issue about your notebook. After that they will advice you to return your laptop to where you bought it.

If you bought it online from applestore, you have to call customer service and tell them you want to return it as adviced by the tech support. Make sure you asked the tech support for the log number when you called them as the csr will ask you for it. The csr will arrange with the courrier for the date of pickup of your unit along with thr TR number for the returning unit.

Once they recieve your unit, they will arrange a date of delivery of the replacement unit. They will email you details and new invoice of the replacement unit.

If you bought it from a local store, you need to bring it to that store and tell them what to do about it. Either they'll fix it or replace it from their stock.

Hope this helps. good luck!

New macbook pro 2012 preinstalled with lion can't be reinstalled?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.