Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert .swf to .app file...

I have a .swf file that I've converted to a Windows .exe, but I also need it as a .app file to run on my Mac. Is there any way to do this? I haven't been able to find a way.

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 9:03 PM

11 replies

Jun 29, 2012 11:02 PM in response to mdurisseau

Nice trick for widows or the mac, i.e., how do you convert an non-executable data file to executable code? Flash video files are basically just data which needs to be interpreted by an swf (flash) player. So the answer to your question is it cannot be done. I don't know what you did for creating a windows .exe file which are also normally executable windows code but the same reasoning applies there as well.

Are you leaving something out of what you did? For example, encapsulating the flash video file with a flash interpreter?

Jun 29, 2012 11:07 PM in response to X423424X

You don't know what you're speaking of, then...google 'swf to exe'...there will be a number of programs that will convert .swf to standalone executables for Windows. I used SWF2EXE...

I have the .swf files and all the associated files...I didn't do anything but move the .exe to the same location as the .swf and ancillary files were.

Very few things in computing 'cannot be done.'

Jun 29, 2012 11:42 PM in response to mdurisseau

I know exactly what I am talking about. I read posts literally. There are many programs that convert one video format to another. And that's how I accepted your question.

And I also asked whether you left something out and obviously you did, i.e., the fact that you were looking for something to encapsulate the video file with a player. Because that is exactly what those executables you are talking about are and have to do (I think SWF2EXE uses the term "projector").

And off hand I do not know of any utilities to encapsulate a flash video file for the mac. Maybe Zinc but I am not 100% sure about that and Zinc isn't cheap.

Jun 30, 2012 10:05 AM in response to mdurisseau

Ah! You have a catalog containing Flash elements, but want it to be a standalone, self running app so users just double click and browse the contents (as you just noted). Can't say I've seen a way to do that on the Mac. But then, I've never had need to look for it, either.

Edit: Found a couple of demos you can try on Mac Update.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24892/swf-cargo-pro

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/17670/mprojector

Neither is cheap if you purchase them. But then you'd have it for future projects.

I did try the Cargo Pro demo just now. Works quickly and easily. You can set it to create a PPC only app, Intel only, or Universal.

Convert .swf to .app file...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.