Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 10.6.3 HD video playback slow/choppy/stutter/skipping

Fresh Windows 7 install with updates.

Fresh iTunes 10.6.3 install with quicktime.

Core2 Q6600, 8gb ram, 256gb SSD, ATI 6870

My HD video movie/podcast playback in itunes is still choppy and stuttering. Seek time when skipping video segments takes seconds for video to catch up to audio. Once in a while the video will skip for freeze. Fresh install on new computer and CPU utilization while video is playing is only 30% so its not hardware issue, and all new fresh installs so its not installation issue. My hard drive is SSD so its not loading slow.

However, all the SD video plays fine. Zero issues. Something must be wrong with iTunes/Quicktime for windows. All my HD 720 or 1080p content plays fine using 3rd party players like VLC.

Anyone found a fix or work around?

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 10:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 11:13 PM

See if this article will help:

Troubleshooting iTunes for Windows Vista or Windows 7 video playback performance issues

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1718

10 replies

Jun 30, 2012 6:08 AM in response to threeapple

Repair your QuickTime.

Control Panel > Programs n Features > highlight QuickTime, click CHANGE then REPAIR.

If that doesn't improve, go to

Control panel

Sound (Hardware n Sound)

Under Playback tab, highlight each device and click Properties button

Go to Advanced tab and change Sample Rate to 16bit 48000hz (DVD Quality) or 96000hz (Studio Quality), OK n OK.

Sep 20, 2012 6:35 PM in response to threeapple

This was happening to me and driving me nuts. I found someone online that had me go into Realtek HD Audio Manager and change the "Default Format" around. I set mine to "16 bit, 192000 Hz (Studio Quality) and that fixed my iTunes for playing shows. I actually had to try all the 16 bit setting until I found the one that worked for me. Hope it helps....

Oct 10, 2012 10:00 PM in response to Austin4221

This is nearly the exact solution that worked for me! Thank you, Austin4221.

What I did is the following:

Within "Control Panel", I chose "Sound".User uploaded file

Then, on the "Playback" Tab, I chose the "Default Device".User uploaded file

Then, on the new window, I chose the "Advanced Tab". User uploaded file

Within the "Default Format" section, I started with the highest quality and then went down the options one by one until the video played back properly.

I hope this help you.

Thanks again, Austin4221.

iTunes 10.6.3 HD video playback slow/choppy/stutter/skipping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.