Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

import from 20 MB powerpoint file yields gigantic 1.4 GB file!

Hi folks,

I imported a 20 MB file from powerpoint and made it a little bit prettier in keynote, then saved it, only to find that I had inadvertantly created a 1.4 GB file! There are very few transitions, no movies or audio, so I don't know why the file is so big. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
-mk

PB 15, 1.25 ghz, Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Mar 17, 2006 6:57 AM

3 replies

Mar 17, 2006 7:56 AM in response to Mike Kaplan

Hmm... an interesting one. I also imported a 105 page Powerpoint presentation into Keynote 3.0 - it went from 14.6MB in PP to 30.4MB in KN and it was heavy with images. BTW, you don't mention what version of Keynote you're using, which Mac/OS version, nor how many images were in the PP document.

Anyhow, a couple of things that occur to me is the possibility that linked, HiRes image files from PP are being imported [and embedded] directly into KN. I'm not too clear how PP handles images [either it places a LoRes 'imageholder' or the whole kitchen sink]. Another thought - if your PP document had a lot of images - was whether it works with OPI [Open Press Interface]. If so, it quite possibly IS placing a LoRes imageholder which is then replaced by a HiRes file on export.

But before I'd look at any of that I'd suggest removing the Keynote preferences (after quiting Keynote), found here: '~user' > 'Library' > 'Preferences' and is called: 'com.apple.iWork.Keynote.plist'. Follow that with a repair of your disk permissions with Disk Utility and then restart Keynote and reimport the PP document.

I've got my fingers crossed, good luck!

Mar 28, 2006 8:30 PM in response to Mike Kaplan

I've found the same problem. Starting with a ±70MB PPT file, I imported it into Keynote 3, Adjusted some images and WHAM: 700MB. I took a look inside the package file and found that most of the images had 10 or more copies of them stored in the file (filename-filtered-1.tiff, filename-filtered-2.tiff, etc.).

Is this part of Keynote's backup system for editing files, and if so, can I delete the redundant ones safely? Is there a record somewhere (in a plist file?) of which images are being used on screen vs. the backups?

Or does anyone know of an "optimize" command? It would seem like a necessary feature for the point where you're done the presentation and want to move it around (say, on a cd, as I tried to do last week as a backup before a lecture). I suppose one could write a script to cull the redundant files (if they had better scripting chops than I do).

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks
—cp

MacBook Pro 2.0 Mac OS X (10.4.5)

import from 20 MB powerpoint file yields gigantic 1.4 GB file!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.