Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3.3 Unified Library

Hi Chaps,

Just wondering if any of you might be able to help me understand the recent update to Aperture as it pertains to non destructive editing.

Personally I liked the fact that iPhoto and Aperture had seperate librarys I use iPhoto for shots from my iPhone and Aperture for shots from my DSLR.

So I'm wondering, Aperture (if I recall correctly) has non destructive editing, meaning when I edit a Master (Original as it's now called?), it simply stores my edits as instructions that it applys in real time, not actually editing the original or creating an edited duplicate, and only when I export to a image does it physically render in the changes to a new file right?

So how will it now work with Aperture and iPhoto sharing photos? If Aperture only saves the edits as instructions or list of effects to apply, how will iPhoto be able to 'see' these changes as Apple states?

Will Aperture now start creating duplicate rendered images with edits to preserve compatability with iPhoto?

I liked the previous behaviour better, meaning if I had 1000 photos and edited each one, my HD wouldn't have to store another 1000 edited versions just a list of effects applied to each, It's a little bit crap if this is now the new behaviour?

Also I'm running iPhoto 8.

Thanks for reading,

John

i5 MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, iPad 2, iPhone 4, 1TB Time Capsule, AEX, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iOS 4.3.1, Flash Plug-In 10.0.45.2

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 2:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 4:01 AM

So I'm wondering, Aperture (if I recall correctly) has non destructive editing, meaning when I edit a Master (Original as it's now called?), it simply stores my edits as instructions that it applys in real time, not actually editing the original or creating an edited duplicate, and only when I export to a image does it physically render in the changes to a new file right?

Correct.

So how will it now work with Aperture and iPhoto sharing photos? If Aperture only saves the edits as instructions or list of effects to apply, how will iPhoto be able to 'see' these changes as Apple states?

Because iPhoto works exactly the same way. It's a process that began with iPhoto 08 and was completed with iPhoto 11.

Will Aperture now start creating duplicate rendered images with edits to preserve compatability with iPhoto?

No.

One possible point of confusion. In Aperture you have Previews which you may choose to generate or not. In iPhoto you also have Previews, but you have no choice, they are generated automatically. Many people confuse these with the old "Modified" images. They're not the same.

So, in practical terms: If you edit an image in the Library with iPhoto an preview will be generated. If you edit it with Aperture you can choose not to have such a thing.

However, if you don't... then no integration with iLife or Media Browsers.

iPhoto 8? Or iPhoto 08? Either way, you'll need to upgrade to iPhoto 11 v9.3, 10.7.4 and Aperture 3.3 for this to be available.

Regards

TD

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2012 4:01 AM in response to JohnAlanWoods

Correct.

Because iPhoto works exactly the same way. It's a process that began with iPhoto 08 and was completed with iPhoto 11.

No.

One possible point of confusion. In Aperture you have Previews which you may choose to generate or not. In iPhoto you also have Previews, but you have no choice, they are generated automatically. Many people confuse these with the old "Modified" images. They're not the same.

So, in practical terms: If you edit an image in the Library with iPhoto an preview will be generated. If you edit it with Aperture you can choose not to have such a thing.

However, if you don't... then no integration with iLife or Media Browsers.

iPhoto 8? Or iPhoto 08? Either way, you'll need to upgrade to iPhoto 11 v9.3, 10.7.4 and Aperture 3.3 for this to be available.

Regards

TD

Jun 30, 2012 4:21 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terrence,

Thanks alot for taking the time to read and reply, I appreciate it.

Just to go back on a couple of points,

When you say iPhoto works the exact same way, surely iPhoto does not have the logic/code to apply all of the effects that aperture can, say for example curves and tools like that, if iPhoto does not contain that tool how can it render it from the instructions that Aperture dictates?

Also from this clip from Apple's website:

Multiple versions of a photo. Minimal hard drive space.

When you want to create an alternate version of a photo, iPhoto duplicates the photo. Aperture stores as many variations as you want in a single image file. That’s big news, because it eats up far less hard drive space than storing duplicate photos. Aperture makes it easy to keep track of all those versions, too, so you can use different ones for different projects.

Which I took today, It would indicate that one of the key differences between Aperture and iPhoto is the non destructive editing without image duplication? It makes me think that iPhoto and Aperture being merged into the one library will make Aperture duplicate photos?

Jul 15, 2012 10:15 AM in response to JohnAlanWoods

Terence explained the situation very accurately and has a wealth of knowledge. Aperture does not duplicate images when it stores version data.

As he also says ".... iPhoto works exactly the same way. It's a process that began with iPhoto 08 and was completed with iPhoto 11."

You really should have marked the question answered.

My Aperture 3.3.1 managed library having imported about 20GB of jpegs produced a library of about 23GB of which 3GB is in the thumbs folder, 20GB in the Masters folder, and 145MB of lower quality images in the Previews folder which are only saved for images that have been modified. There is no "versions" folder in the library.

I would not personally try to edit an Aperture library with iphoto or vice versa. Not because I know of any problems, but simply because I would not want to risk any corruption. It is enough that each can "access" the other and I personally would limit that to display and print. In fact my iphoto is not in the dock and I don't see why an individual would want to mix the two apps.

Jul 15, 2012 10:36 AM in response to JohnAlanWoods

On my machine, I am seeing that both current versions of iPhoto (9.3.1) and Aperture (3.3.1) using a unified library do the following:

1 - On importing an image; both programs simply show either the original jpeg (if the original is a jpeg) or the embedded jpeg (if the original is a RAW file) as the working image prior to any editing with the tools provided in either program. At this point, neither program is generating a jpeg preview image (which I confirmed by looking in the library package 'Previews' folder).

2 - Once an edit is made to an image, a jpeg preview will be created and will be stored in the 'Previews' folder inside the library package. This is then used for viewing in the both programs.

3 - Aperture can see the adjustments that have been applied to the edited preview (whether the adjustments were made in Aperture or iPhoto). Adjustments that were made in iPhoto are reflected in the adjustment inspector and seem to be of the same value for any adjustment values shown in iPhoto edit pane for that image.

4 - In iPhoto, images that were adjusted in Aperture only show values in the edit pane which iPhoto has an adjustment slider for (even though all adjustments made in Aperture are applied and reflected in the preview).

What I am getting from all this is that both programs use the already generated preview image to show a completed adjusted image and that they read the adjustment instruction list and display what they are each capable of displaying in their respective panes.

When I run the 'Revert to Original' command in either program on any image (whether adjusted in Aperture or iPhoto); the jpeg preview image stored in the 'Previews' folder inside the library package is deleted.

In summary then; you will use some extra storage space when a jpeg preview is generated (which is any time you edit an image in either program - at least on my machine).

Note - since my camera body and lens benefits greatly from running images through DxO Optics Pro (due to kit lens and a less than 'Pro' body); I always import JPEG files. Terrence or others may have different results with bringing RAW files into the programs with regards to preview generation, but both programs generate a jpeg preview on any edit / adjustment I make regardless of what preferences I set in the programs. Preview resolution settings in Aperture are however honored (e.g., setting to 'Half-Size' or 2550 x 2550).

I hope that helps in some way (at least until someone more knowledgable than myself stops by if I missed anything). 😉

Jul 15, 2012 1:25 PM in response to LD150

Hi Thanks for the response,

I agree Terrence has a wealth of knowledge, but he didn't answer my question.

Saying that "iPhoto works exactly the same way. It's a process that began with iPhoto 08 and was completed with iPhoto 11."

This is simply not the case, and is contrary to one of current most championed reasons to switch from iPhoto.

Apple, as of right now, still maintains that iPhoto duplicates the photo and Aperture does not. As shown here:

Multiple versions of a photo. Minimal hard drive space.

When you want to create an alternate version of a photo, iPhoto duplicates the photo. Aperture stores as many variations as you want in a single image file. That’s big news, because it eats up far less hard drive space than storing duplicate photos. Aperture makes it easy to keep track of all those versions, too, so you can use different ones fordifferent projects.

Thus my point was if iPhoto still cannot make an edit without duplication, how does this marry with the unified library paradigm.

I am conscientious and always ensure I mark questions as answered and give points where due. Something I cannot say for the majority of users on this discussions board. But in this case i felt it was not deserved as my questions was not answered until tonight.

All that said, I truly appreciate everyone's input and detailed answers,

Thanks again.

Regards,

John

Jul 15, 2012 1:51 PM in response to JohnAlanWoods

I'm not sure if anyone addressed this part: "Personally I liked the fact that iPhoto and Aperture had seperate librarys I use iPhoto for shots from my iPhone and Aperture for shots from my DSLR."

In iPhoto and Aperture, you can create multiple libraries. Just hold the option key down when starting the app or go to the File menu to create or switch between libraries. So you could continue to use iPhoto for your iPhone and Aperture for your DSLR. Or have your DSLR and iPhone libraries but open them up in either app whenever you wanted. I'm not quite sure why you would want to do this, but the option is there.

One significant difference I didn't see mentioned here between the way Aperture and iPhoto handles previews. Aperture allows you to set the preview size whereas iPhoto uses the original resolution as the preview size. So in addition to being able to delete previews, or not have them generated at all in Apeture, you also have the ability to reduce your previews, thus possibly saving considerable space.

Jul 16, 2012 4:34 AM in response to JohnAlanWoods

Saying that "iPhoto works exactly the same way. It's a process that began with iPhoto 08 and was completed with iPhoto 11."

This is simply not the case, and is contrary to one of current most championed reasons to switch from iPhoto."

The point I was making is that you are comparing iphoto8 with Aperture whereas if you want to share libraries you need iphoto 9.3. In that case the comparisons are different and the reasons for buying aperture rest on more powerful editing, better import export options etc, not necessarily the database efficiency.

Aug 1, 2012 9:28 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence and others,

1) something has changed with unified photo library in terms of non destructive image process and duplicate files on edit in iphot?

2) if i've well understand: iphoto on editing (else on simple rotate a photo) creates in a different folder (preview) a duplicate file, while in aperture we can choose not to create it?

Aug 2, 2012 1:02 AM in response to fadrianoc

fadrianoc wrote:

Terence and others,

1) something has changed with unified photo library in terms of non destructive image process and duplicate files on edit in iphot?

2) if i've well understand: iphoto on editing (else on simple rotate a photo) creates in a different folder (preview) a duplicate file, while in aperture we can choose not to create it?

1. The iphoto 9.3 release now uses a system of creating instructions applied to original photos called a Version which takes up less room than older iphoto releases and the database structure is now compatible with and similar to Aperture 3.3

2. All edits including rotation create a version. All images having a version produce a preview which IS stored as a physical image. Whether other images create storedl previews depends on your preview settings AND on the size of the original.

With my nikon d5000 only edited or rotated images save previews whatever my settings, though the size of the previews is affected by settings.

Aug 2, 2012 3:05 AM in response to Yer_Man

I have a question to ask. I had updated iTunes to 10.6.3, iPhoto to 9.3.2 and Aperture to 3.3.2. Since there are the new Library sharing feature. I tried to use Aperture sharing the iPhoto Library and edited photos that including crop and color adjustment. After I switched back to use iPhoto, all edited photos preview perfectly. However, all edited version of photos hasn't been synced to iPad after I used iTunes sync my iPhoto Library, the photos preview in original version on iPad, unless I edited in iPhoto and synced again.

Aperture 3.3 Unified Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.