Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where do I find a driver for my logitech Quick cam Orbit AF / sphere webcam?

I have still one of those QuickCam Orbit AF / Sphere AF webcams and would like to see if it can be used in a Mac OS environment? Any help is appreciated!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 9:06 AM

4 replies

Jun 30, 2012 5:05 PM in response to ConstellationEC

ConstellationEC wrote:

I have still one of those QuickCam Orbit AF / Sphere AF webcams and would like to see if it can be used in a Mac OS environment? Any help is appreciated!

All drivers for Mac compatible webcams are included in every Mac OS X 10.4.9 and later, so your 10.7.4 needs NO additional drivers if any USB-connected camera is "UVC" compliant. To test your specific cam:

(1) Plug it in and try QuickTime Player > File > New Movie Recording to see if it can be used with your Mac.

If more than one camera is recognized, you must use QT preferences to select your QCOrbit by clicking QT's Preferences disclosure triangle as shown in this image:

User uploaded file

You Mac's choices will be different than those shown in the image, but this is how you find the choices.

(2) Logitech webcams recently manufactured (I think since about 2007) are all UVC compliant.

For details on which older Logitech cams support UVC, see:

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5336

Those that support the UVC standard and are Mac 10.4.9 & later compliant have a • in the far right column.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.7.4

Jul 1, 2012 10:14 PM in response to ConstellationEC

The OS X drivers will work, but without OS X drivers from Logitech, the functionality of the webcam maybe limited.

Even with Logitech drivers, I have found that the Mac version of the drivers are severly limit the webcam's functionality.

PC drivers for the same webcam appear to have more robust operating functionality.

I had purchase, fairly recently, 2 Logitech webcams that were the same model but could work on both Mac and PC.

I was using the webcam on a G4 MDD tower and my girlfriend used the other webcam on her PC.

With Logitech drivers installed, I had less functionality of the webcam than my girlfriend had with the same webcam using the Windows PC drivers on her PC.

Example, the auto focus function worked well on the PC, but this function did not work on my Mac.

Auto focusing based on moving subject worked great on her PC, but no such function existed for the Mac OS X version.

FYI

Where do I find a driver for my logitech Quick cam Orbit AF / sphere webcam?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.