5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2012 2:53 PM by suite5r
suite5r Level 1 Level 1

I just bought a new 2 TB "Time Capsule".  I read somewhere recently that Apple claims this unit has a "server grade" drive.  I am reading here that the Time Capsule appears to have many failures.

I am asking today if the failure rate amongst users here is about typical for a large external drive or....and is the drive contained in this unit just another 2TB drive made by anycompany?

Solved by Bob Timmons on Jun 30, 2012 12:45 PM Solved
I think it's a good idea even with the convenience of the Time Capsule, to have a least one other duplicate external backup as an insurance policy.Always a good idea to do this. Friends accuse me of being "too safe" at times....but I can live with the guilt. 
Reply by suite5r on Jun 30, 2012 10:51 AM Helpful
Thank you sir. This is very helpful advice as I had parked my new Time Capsule under another piece of hardware.  Now that you mention 'heat', I have moved the offending hardware and now that my Capsule is in the open, have raised it from the desktop to further enhance air circulation. Already it is cooler to the touch.  I am surprised I didn't think of heat as a factor myself. As a long time computer user with lots of other backup capacity, I think it's a good idea even with the convenience of the Time Capsule, to have a least one other duplicate external backup as an insurance policy.

All replies

• Bob Timmons Level 10 Level 10

It is not the drive that fails, it is the power supply in the Time Capsule that fails due to poor heat dissipation. Keep the Time Capsule on a laptop cooler if you can, with plenty of airspace all around it.

Apple uses so many different manufacturers for the drives in the Time Capsule that it is not possible to say which one might be in any given model.

Although Apple might use the term "server grade", that can mean just about anything that you want it to mean.

Hey, Apple! Where's that 'server-grade' Time Capsule hard drive you ...

• suite5r Level 1 Level 1

Thank you sir.

This is very helpful advice as I had parked my new Time Capsule under another piece of hardware.  Now that you mention 'heat', I have moved the offending hardware and now that my Capsule is in the open, have raised it from the desktop to further enhance air circulation.

Already it is cooler to the touch.  I am surprised I didn't think of heat as a factor myself.

As a long time computer user with lots of other backup capacity, I think it's a good idea even with the convenience of the Time Capsule, to have a least one other duplicate external backup as an insurance policy.

• Bob Timmons Level 10 Level 10

I think it's a good idea even with the convenience of the Time Capsule, to have a least one other duplicate external backup as an insurance policy.

Always a good idea to do this. Friends accuse me of being "too safe" at times....but I can live with the guilt. 

• LaPastenague Level 9 Level 9

The original TC came with a Seagate 500GB ES drive. that was the seagate server series and were a better drive.. i dare say other than the dead power supply many of those drives will still be working fine. It is mean time between failures that is the measure of server grade. Since that time MTBF numbers  quoted by drive manufacturers all exceed the value that was in 2008 deemed server quality.. so they will claim server grade. Although all the drives used today are pedestrian domestic cheap ones.

But do not think the drives don't die.. they do..And new bigger drives means more data lost in one hit than ever before. I have seen a spate of WD dead drives.. both black from Gen2 1TB and green lately.. one on the bench today is a Gen4 with 2TB WD20EARS that corrupted the data partition of the drive. Getting data back is expensive and time consuming.. to say nothing of uncertain, having spent all the money that the recovered files are of any use.

Be paranoid... like Bob!! Keep a backup and another backup of all the stuff that you deem important. Remember in the past you had your photo album on film strips and printed in books. Now they are electronic digital format.. and a wave of the emf wand and they all disappear.. !!

• suite5r Level 1 Level 1

I am feeling just at this moment, like I just received the ultimate word direct from 'God'.

Aside from feeling important and noticed for an instant, I am much better informed now than then.

Thank you!