Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer files FROM iPad TO PC

I have a first generation iPad that has not been updated in months. I want to update to latest OS but I don't want to lose all the files and data that were created on the ipad.

How do i move files (such as Pages documents, PDFs, Noterize, etc...) FROM the iPad ON TO my PC?

The computer i'm using is different from the computer I initialized the iPad with - the other computer died.

Please help!

iTunes-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 10:50 AM

1. Without connecting your iPad to your computer -

A) Install iTunes / make sure the latest version of iTunes is installed.

B) Go to the Store tab and click on "Authorise This Computer".

C) Go to Edit, click on Preferences and click on Devices. Put a check mark in the box next to "Prevent iPods/iPhones/iPads from syncing automatically". Click OK and close iTunes.

2. Connect your iPad to your computer -

A) Start iTunes (if it does not do so automatically).

B) Right click on your iPad under Devices in the left column. Select "Transfer purchases".

C) When the transfer has completed, right click on your iPad again and select "Backup".

D) When the backup has completed, left click on your iPad, click on the Apps tab, and put a check mark in the box next to "Sync Apps", and then click on "Apply" (bottom right).

E) Unless you want to always do a manual sync (as I do), go back to Edit, Preferences and uncheck the box next to "Prevent your iPod.....".

F) Finally, on your iPad, check that everything is syncing properly. If not, go back to iTunes and check all settings.

NB You should not lose any apps. However, any 'purchased' missing apps can be downloaded again FOC. As with updates, this must be done with the Apple ID under which they were originally 'purchased'.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2012 10:50 AM in response to spudmax

1. Without connecting your iPad to your computer -

A) Install iTunes / make sure the latest version of iTunes is installed.

B) Go to the Store tab and click on "Authorise This Computer".

C) Go to Edit, click on Preferences and click on Devices. Put a check mark in the box next to "Prevent iPods/iPhones/iPads from syncing automatically". Click OK and close iTunes.

2. Connect your iPad to your computer -

A) Start iTunes (if it does not do so automatically).

B) Right click on your iPad under Devices in the left column. Select "Transfer purchases".

C) When the transfer has completed, right click on your iPad again and select "Backup".

D) When the backup has completed, left click on your iPad, click on the Apps tab, and put a check mark in the box next to "Sync Apps", and then click on "Apply" (bottom right).

E) Unless you want to always do a manual sync (as I do), go back to Edit, Preferences and uncheck the box next to "Prevent your iPod.....".

F) Finally, on your iPad, check that everything is syncing properly. If not, go back to iTunes and check all settings.

NB You should not lose any apps. However, any 'purchased' missing apps can be downloaded again FOC. As with updates, this must be done with the Apple ID under which they were originally 'purchased'.

Jun 30, 2012 10:50 AM in response to spudmax

The apps you've listed are all iTunes FIle Sharing-capable. That is, just fire up iTunes, go to the Apps tab and, one by one, drag the files from the lower right listbox to your desktop, after clicking the apps in the lower left list.

This won't transfer the inner state of some of these apps or projects that you don't explicitly save to the Documents directory (Apple's own apps are all like this). You can also backup them via iExplorer or Phone Disk.

How to transfer files FROM iPad TO PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.