Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SYSTEM SLEEP SLUGS WIFI CONNECTION

For the past week or so my system has developed a really annoying habit of basically killing the wifi connection just about every time the system goes to sleep, either automatically or manually.

By 'killing' I mean connection speeds, up & down, are dragged down to miniscule rates. If you can even complete a speed test at all, say with Speakeasy, you might see something like .03 Mbps up, and a bit more than than down. Most of the time it just fails. Page loads are pretty glacial, of course, with many simply failing.

Meanwhile, the iPad continues to truck right along on the same APExpress network, so that seems to be good. I was doing Restarts, which did work: All would be back to normal after that. I've subsequently learned that a Restart isn't required, all I have to do is log out of my account, then log right back in, and things are back to normal.

For example: This morning, first thing on waking up, it was again dead. Speakeasy just failed, a simple web page took several minutes to load with most graphics of course gone walkabout, others failed. Logged out, logged right back in, and Speakeasy showed 26.1 Mbps down, 5.88 up.

I can't figure it out, and don't know what might have changed in the past week or so to cause this. i've never bothered to learn very much about the inner workings and hidden mechanisms of the wireless world (preferring Steve's "It Just Works .." approach to things) and that now leaves me with not much in my bag of tricks. If any of you folks can suggest some things to try I'd be very appreciative.

If not, well .... at least SL boots into a new account pretty quickly.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 21.5" Intel, iDVD 7.1.2

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 10:37 AM

15 replies

Jul 2, 2012 8:41 AM in response to WZZZ

WZZZ, thanks for the tries, but they didn't really work for me. The first one, about essentially re-starting everything having to do with the network, does provide relief in a way, as it led to a quicker way of getting things going again, but provided no long-term solution. The second didn't apply as it's not an IPv6 issue, not browser-related at all; every function relying on the wifi connection, be in Mail or the App Store or (until recently) iDisk accesss, gets slammed in exactly the same way.

To review: The Wifi icon in the Menu Bar shows full connectivity at all times, and other systems on the same network are having zero problems at the same time that the iMac/Snow Leopard combination have been ground to an essential dead halt. You actuallyare connected at this point, and if you're patient you can see things load.

New Twists:

• In the spirit of playing around last night, I found multiple entries for my home wifi network displayed under the "Preferred" section of SysPrefs > Network. Thinking that looked strange, I deleted all but the top copy of it.
  • This morning, on waking the system from sleep, and finding it in its normal sluggish state, I did get a splashscreen popping up to inform me that none of my preferred networks were available and inviting me to choose one from the provided list (and sure enough, at that point the wifi fan was greyed out in the Menu Bar). My network was still listed: I clicked on it, Keychain filled in the password, and everything came back to life and at full speed.
  • It appears (this had been previous reported in various threads and fora) that another possible 'quick fix' for this condition is to use the Wifi icon to turn Airport OFF, then back ON ... and system speed returns. This is faster than logging out of and back into the User Account, which is itself faster than doing a complete re-boot, so it's welcome news.

Of course, it doesn't explain why this just started happening or what is causing it. Absent any definitive answers, and not willing to take the more extreme steps like trashing .plist files all over the place and going through the PITA of re-entering all of the configuration details and preferences, this in the hope that some part of what I'm doing will fix whatever it was .... I think I'll just coast and live with this until Mountain Lion is released and I upgrade to that and move into that whole iCloud thing.

Jul 2, 2012 8:56 AM in response to Michael Morgan1

Michael Morgan1 wrote:

The second didn't apply as it's not an IPv6 issue, not browser-related at all; every function relying on the wifi connection, be in Mail or the App Store or (until recently) iDisk accesss, gets slammed in exactly the same way.

But all those things you mentioned are impacted by IPv6, not just your browser. Anything app that accesses the network uses it when turned on.

Jul 2, 2012 9:48 AM in response to Michael Morgan1

If it isn't already disabled, turn off IPv6 anyway. Will do no harm. If it's not an IPv6 issue, and turning Airport off and on again gets you back to regular speed, then it's something screwy with Airport. I occasionally have to do that after waking from sleep to give Airport a second chance to snag the signal, but I've never experienced solid Airport and crappy Internet, as a result of that. I've had plenty of crappy Internet, but that has to do with my ISP and related DSL issues.

You could always try trashing these and if it doesn't help, then just use File>Put Back. Might need to reconfigure some of your Airport settings, so take screenshots first. This shouldn't be too big of a PITA.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

/Users/****/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.airport.agent.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.pl ist

Jul 2, 2012 5:23 PM in response to Michael Morgan1

Updating, while continuing to play around with this:

It appears as though shorter-term periods of sleep don't have the same effect; if only asleep for a short period I can often wake it up and things will be working normally. Anything over an hour seems to kill the wifi for sure (caveat—not completely tested or verified).

Not sure whether this data point adds anything or not, but thought I may as well toss it out there.

Jul 2, 2012 5:39 PM in response to Michael Morgan1

There is a shallow and a deep sleep. If I leave the computer sleeping for a certain period of time -- I've never tried to determine just how long, but it might need to be few hours -- I will see the clock giving the time at which the computer was put to sleep. Then a few seconds later it sets to the current time. Otherwise, I get the correct time immediately.

I'm sure there must be some documentation on this. I've looked through man pmset, but never found anything explicitly related. But maybe I missed it.

Jul 3, 2012 9:41 AM in response to Michael Morgan1

Success! After another day of playing around with this it appears as though the problem has been knocked down, at least for now. I didn't approach things in such a way as to know precisely what the fix was, but the last things that I tried included the following:

1. I played around with the settings in SysPrefs > Network, cycling settings back and forth (changing then changing back, removing and then adding again, etc.), and
  2. I installed a firmware update on my Airport Express, which itself involved a bit of a troubleshooting exercise to discover why it wasn't appearing in Airport Utility, and
  3. I un-installed SugarSync, which I wasn't using but which was continuing to thrash about and do things whenever the system awoke from Sleep.

At the end of those three things being done, the problem no longer recurs. I have no idea which one, or which combination of the three, served to be the fix, but that doesn't bother me all that much. Things turn out like that all the time. And, of course, it may re-occur and I'll be right back to futzing around it every time.

Thanks to all who responded. Now I have to figure out how to mark this as 'Completed' without giving myself points ....

Jul 3, 2012 11:58 AM in response to Michael Morgan1

Great! Glad to hear you got that resolved. Btw, not to worry; you don't get points for marking your own answer solved. I, similarly, just asked a question in the iTunes forum, for which I soon after found the answer myself, and marked it solved. It lets others know what the solution (possible solution in your case) was.

Aug 3, 2012 11:18 AM in response to Michael Morgan1

And .... sure enough ..... it's back!

After about a month error-free, the system's back to doing exactly what it did before. Nothing has changed, no new upgrades or updates, nada; it simply slugs the wifi down as soon as it goes to sleep, and needs a log out&in (a quick process, thankfully, in SL) to get things rolling again.

I played around with Quick User Switching, curious to see if just doing that would do the trick but, unfortunately, it didn't.

I guess I have to go back through everything again, keep futzing, see if something might change. In the interim, keep the system awake for longer periods of time and live with the requirement for the quick logging reset at the start of the day.

SYSTEM SLEEP SLUGS WIFI CONNECTION

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.