The function that isn't controlled via the switch on the right-hand side of the iPad above the volume control is set via the taskbar instead : double-click the home button; slide from the left; and it's the icon far left; press home again to exit the taskbar.
Rotation lock and notification mute : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085
I understand how to use the task bar. Here is the problem in steps.
1. no sound with apps
2. setting- general- use side switch to - lock rotation
3. double click home bar and side swipe to the left
4. un-mute and sound is restored.
5. problem now is I am unable to unlock rotation
6. settings-general - use side switch to - mute
7. rotation is unlocked and no sound.
8. checked volume
9. volume is fine
10. still no sound for apps, keyboards, alerts
11. called apple, they told me to do a system restore. no sound while restoring the system also