Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac mid 2010 dual screen issue - finder keeps restarting

Hi,

while connected to a second screen, Finder on my mid 2010 iMac (mini display port, Mac OS X Lion, latest updates installed) keeps restarting every 10 to 15 minutes. It doesn't matter which kind of adapter I use, I bought VGA, DVI and HDMI adapters and the issue is the same.

Finder just keeps restarting every so often, it doesn't matter if the second screen is turned on or not, it even happens if the second screen is not connected as long as the adapter is plugged into the iMac.

What happens is that for about 15 seconds I cannot do anything, the desktop background turns grey and the Dashboard restarts, too - which means all new information entered on Dashboard is lost as well.

However, the adapters seem to work fine on my MacBook Pro (early 2011, Thunderbolt, also Mac OS X Lion latest updates) with the same external screen.

I'm kind of helpless since Apple Support couldn't offer any solution either. So for now, dual screens on my iMac is completely useless which really is a pain.

I hope anyone can help me figure this out.

Thanks & best regards,

Steffen

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 1:17 PM

Steffen, have you tried re-installing Lion?

5 replies

Jun 30, 2012 1:27 PM in response to SeaPapp

Hi Mike,

no, I have not so far since I need the computer right now. I rather hoped for a simpler solution, I have to admit. Though this would be a last resort if nothing else helps, have to wait until I can spare the iMac for some time.

Apple Support told me there have not been any issues of this kind so far, so I checked the permissions and so on with disk utility, seems fine.

Don't get why it would work on one Mac but not on the other with the same software.

But if I cannot find a solution soon, I might have to reinstall. Thank you!

Regards, Steffen

Edit: Also, I haven't mentioned that I initially had the same issue with the MacBook Pro for a day, since then it worked fine, however. Also used to have the external screen connected to an older version of the MacBook Pro with DVI port without problems. So this problem with the iMac does not make sense to me at all.

Jun 30, 2012 1:33 PM in response to Steffen de Schryver

Because it works on one computer and not the other running the same versions of the OS it sounds like a simple software issue to me that a reinstall will fix. You can try a safe boot, sometimes that clears up strange problems. Restart while holding the shift key and release it when the grey apple logo appears on screen.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564

iMac mid 2010 dual screen issue - finder keeps restarting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.