Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMovie: Cannot export because I deleted the clips

Hi,

I made a mistake. I have an iMovie project and I'm very satisfied with the outcome. But I cannot anymore export the project, because I have deleted the original files.

However, I am able to play the video within iMovie. So the movie seems to be somehow there.

Do you know a way of how I can export the movie, so that I can make a DVD from it?

Thank you and best regards,

Marcus

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 1:31 PM

Are you using the latest iMovie? On my iPad 3, using the latest (legally purchased) iMovie, it doesn't make a copy of the original video upon creating / editing a new project. There's an <app home> / Library / Application Support / <projectname> / Movies directory, but it's empty. Again, at least on my iPad 3, where deleting the source files renders the project unplayable. Note that I haven't exported the project to iTunes (have you?).

You should check out that (those) directory whether they have anythign in them. (Use iExplorer or Phone Disk) I'm sure they will.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2012 1:31 PM in response to freiMacke

Are you using the latest iMovie? On my iPad 3, using the latest (legally purchased) iMovie, it doesn't make a copy of the original video upon creating / editing a new project. There's an <app home> / Library / Application Support / <projectname> / Movies directory, but it's empty. Again, at least on my iPad 3, where deleting the source files renders the project unplayable. Note that I haven't exported the project to iTunes (have you?).

You should check out that (those) directory whether they have anythign in them. (Use iExplorer or Phone Disk) I'm sure they will.

Jun 30, 2012 9:12 PM in response to Menneisyys

Great, thank you so much. I found the movie in this location: Apps / iMovie / Library / Application Support / Documents / <Name of project> / Movies

It's exactly in the quality which I wanted to export. I remember I did the export to the Photo App and not to iTunes. I think the program wanted to copy it to this location but there was not enough space.

Now I'm happy. Thanks again.

Best regards,

Marcus

IMovie: Cannot export because I deleted the clips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.