Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple IIGS Rare Woz Edition

Hi, I've Had one of these for years I'm Curious To what equipment i would need to run it again since i haven't used an apple for years.

Not sure what is all needed to get this up and running Since all i own right now is the base unit no software no OS.

Sorry if more info is needed please let me know.

Okay 2nd Question how rare is The Woz Edition Is it really rare or just an ebay hoax hype i never trust what is said on ebay so just curious and about how many were made and stuff and what is so special.

I know that it was like Woz Last computer he built and designed before he left apple but other then the sig whats differant.

Thanks for any info or help

Sincerly
Nate

Power Macintosh G3 B&W 400Mhz,PB 1400c/166 Mhz Mac OS X (10.2.x) 6GB HD, 320 MB PC-100, 3GB HD, 48 MB Memory, Mac OS 8.6

Posted on Mar 17, 2006 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2006 9:29 AM

Answering your last question first, the "Woz Edition" wasn't all that rare. Back when I was selling those, we had a bunch at our dealership. Whether or not it would be worth more to a collector I can't say for sure, but I doubt that one would carry much of a premium if any over a "non-Woz" edition.

As to what you'll need, it's pretty much the obvious things: a monitor (the IIGS used the old 15-pin Apple-style connector, so you'll need either an Apple monitor or an appropriate 15-pin to VGA adaptor), and ADB keyboard and ADB mouse, a floppy drive (3.5") and a copy of the GS-OS disk. For more information, search the web for "Apple II GS" and you'll find a number of sites with information.

Regards.
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2006 9:29 AM in response to Nathan Marshall

Answering your last question first, the "Woz Edition" wasn't all that rare. Back when I was selling those, we had a bunch at our dealership. Whether or not it would be worth more to a collector I can't say for sure, but I doubt that one would carry much of a premium if any over a "non-Woz" edition.

As to what you'll need, it's pretty much the obvious things: a monitor (the IIGS used the old 15-pin Apple-style connector, so you'll need either an Apple monitor or an appropriate 15-pin to VGA adaptor), and ADB keyboard and ADB mouse, a floppy drive (3.5") and a copy of the GS-OS disk. For more information, search the web for "Apple II GS" and you'll find a number of sites with information.

Regards.

Mar 18, 2006 12:22 PM in response to Nathan Marshall

I noticed you have a Blue & White Power Mac G3. You could use that Mac to download the OS for the Apple IIgs from Apple's Older Software Downloads site & make the disks while booted into Mac OS 9. The software you'd need to make the disks would be Apple's Disk Copy. You would also need StuffIt Expander to extract the Disk Copy disk images too. It sounds like you'll need seven reliable PC 720k or 800k Mac floppies to make the disks. Here's a link to the Apple Support site I mentioned: http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html.

Mar 24, 2006 12:38 PM in response to Nathan Marshall

Hey, Will i Need to get ahold of one of those older 20MB External Hard Drives or will or can i run the computer From Discs I now own everything except the External HD. I Only ask this question since i see most of the apple IIGS with external HD's No info of an Internal ones. So basicly my question is will i require a External Hard Drive to Run My Apple IIGS.

Sincerly
Nate

Mar 25, 2006 1:55 AM in response to Nathan Marshall

The external HD needs an SCSI-Card to run on IIgs-hard to find and expensive in Germany!
You can run your IIgs with one 3,5-drive-better are two,daisychained. You also can get a 4MB RAM card.
Instead of an external HD you also can use a CF-card with up to 256MB RAM.You may look here(info):
http://dreher.net/?s=projects/CFforAppleII&c=projects/CFforAppleII/main.php
Good luck

Mar 26, 2006 10:33 PM in response to Nathan Marshall

Nathan,

I try to save old Mac and Apple stuff from the landfill so I check with recyclers and thrift stores. On one occation I found four Woz editions and six non-Woz machines on the shelf. So much for rare. Give the choice, I still chose to buy the Woz wons.

Check out this blog:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/archive/index.php/t-2208.html

You asked what was different. Not much. I have not found a side by side comparison chart yet. Apple Spec does not list Apples!

Jim

Apr 5, 2006 1:05 AM in response to AppleIIFreak

Get a "Scuzzy" card. You'll be able to hook up a pretty massive daisy chained array of storage if you so desire.

Still possible to buy faster CPUs on the internet as well. Max out the RAM. You'll love Appleworks. Was it Clarisworks back then?

At the time the Woz edition was released we drooled over it as it had the Woz's name on it. No offence meant but I'd pay maybe a dollar extra for it... as is obvious it was way too common.

Some excellent programming software out there. Merlin assembler, ORCA Pascal etc. Does a good emulation of the old Apple][ as well if I recall.

You may need to replace the onboard battery, reseat the RAM etc to get it up and running. Have lots of fun! I did!

Apr 5, 2006 1:07 PM in response to Chris Birch1

Chris,

Nice notes. Appleworks came first. We used it on our Apple IIc. Then came the Mac stuff. Apple decided to get into software so it formed Claris. It was time for Mac Write II, Mac Paint II, Mac Draw II, etc. so Claris was known for the twos.

They did not have a database so they bought Filemaker 4 and repackaged it as Filemaker II. Clarisworks incorporated filemaker features and went through Clarisworks 5. Apple shut down Claris and then came Appleworks 6 and Filemaker was sold off.

Jim

Apple IIGS Rare Woz Edition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.