Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to recover files once deleted from trash

I aciedently deleted files from the trash can, is there any way for me to recover those files?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 3:00 PM

Basics of File Recovery

Files in Trash

If you simply put files in the Trash you can restore them by opening the Trash (left-click on the Trash icon) and drag the files from the Trash to your Desktop or other desired location. OS X also provides a short-cut to undo the last item moved to the Trash -press COMMAND-Z.

If you empty the Trash the files are gone. If a program does an immediate delete rather than moving files to the Trash, then the files are gone. Recovery is possible but you must not allow any additional writes to the hard drive - shut it down. When files are deleted only the directory entries, not the files themselves, is modified. The space occupied by the files has been returned to the system as available for storage, but the files are still on the drive. Writing to the drive will then eventually overwrite the space once occupied by the deleted files in which case the files are lost permanently. Also if you save a file over an existing file of the same name, then the old file is overwritten and cannot be recovered.

General File Recovery

If you stop using the drive it's possible to recover deleted files that have not been overwritten by using recovery software such as Data Rescue II, File Salvage or TechTool Pro. Each of the preceding come on bootable CDs to enable usage without risk of writing more data to the hard drive. Two free alternatives are Disk Drill and TestDisk. Look for them and demos at MacUpdate or CNET Downloads.

The longer the hard drive remains in use and data are written to it, the greater the risk your deleted files will be overwritten.

Also visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on Data Recovery.

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2012 3:00 PM in response to ChocDipz

Basics of File Recovery

Files in Trash

If you simply put files in the Trash you can restore them by opening the Trash (left-click on the Trash icon) and drag the files from the Trash to your Desktop or other desired location. OS X also provides a short-cut to undo the last item moved to the Trash -press COMMAND-Z.

If you empty the Trash the files are gone. If a program does an immediate delete rather than moving files to the Trash, then the files are gone. Recovery is possible but you must not allow any additional writes to the hard drive - shut it down. When files are deleted only the directory entries, not the files themselves, is modified. The space occupied by the files has been returned to the system as available for storage, but the files are still on the drive. Writing to the drive will then eventually overwrite the space once occupied by the deleted files in which case the files are lost permanently. Also if you save a file over an existing file of the same name, then the old file is overwritten and cannot be recovered.

General File Recovery

If you stop using the drive it's possible to recover deleted files that have not been overwritten by using recovery software such as Data Rescue II, File Salvage or TechTool Pro. Each of the preceding come on bootable CDs to enable usage without risk of writing more data to the hard drive. Two free alternatives are Disk Drill and TestDisk. Look for them and demos at MacUpdate or CNET Downloads.

The longer the hard drive remains in use and data are written to it, the greater the risk your deleted files will be overwritten.

Also visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on Data Recovery.

Jun 30, 2012 3:06 PM in response to ChocDipz

Create a data recovery, undelete boot drive

Then download DataRescue to it while booted from it. $99

BTW, Disk Drill is not free, it lets you see the files it can recover, but then charges for their recovery.

Problem with boot disks is they are based upon Linux and may or may not have the hardware drivers for your model of Mac. So be sure to make certain if you choose this option that the boot disks will absolutely work with your machine before purchasing them.

Next time, make a backup of your data, thus if something is deleted you can easily recover it.

Most commonly used backup methods

Jun 19, 2013 5:13 AM in response to Kappy

Hi I was uploading all of my files to my Google Drive on my gmail account because I was going to sell my laptop. Well, once I uploaded everything, I signed out of my gmail account.

Then I removed all of my files off my laptop. I got back into my gmail and click Drive to see if everything is still there and everything is GONE! Even everything from my trash is gone! I had very important files that I had! How can I recover them if its possible?

I Tried downloading the FileSalvage but when I download it, it won't open for some reason? It says its opening & then stops but nothing pops up. So I think it quits on itself. I really need my files back and saved on Google again & to STAY in my Google account! or is there anywhere else I can upload them at so that way when I log in somewhere else, it'll still be saved?

PLEASE tell me how to recover my files ASAP! & what do to?!

<Email Edited By Host>

Jul 24, 2013 4:13 AM in response to ChocDipz

Do not you make a backup before? If you don't make any backup to the hard drive, you cannot find the lost files easily. In this case, you are supposed to try some third-party software to scan your trash and check that the data you deleted can be found or not. If the lost files can be scanned out by the software, you can recover those deleted files from Mac. If not, it may be lost and cannot get back.

<Link Edited By Host>

Aug 14, 2013 4:08 AM in response to Kappy

Would FileSalvage or Data Recovery 3 be able to recover data off an external HDD that had backup files on it but was then quick formatted to NTFS and some files copied on it?

I had about 300GB of backup on it and only replaced it with about 100gb of data on NTFS, but I don't know if the recovery software will be able to pick up the old HFS data.

If there was a free trial for either I'd be happy to pay for one but I just don't know if it will do what I want before I shell out ninety bucks!

Sep 12, 2013 2:30 AM in response to ChocDipz

When files are "deleted" they are not actually removed from your iPhone, until something else overwrites them. So by saving anything else to them you may have overwritten them.

There is a decent chance that you can restore them though. I've successfully used undeleted plus before to restore pictures that were accidentally deleted on my iPhone.

Sep 12, 2013 6:17 AM in response to lareinaege

Welcome to the Apple Support Community. I see that you just registered today, and all you posted were promotions for commercial software of totally unkown effectiveness and safety.

I am sure you are well compensated for promoting this software of dubious value and outrageous price, especially when there are many free or inexpensive programs that do the same thing.

Not to mention the underhanded marketing, claiming that it is FREE until you try to use it and find out that you may have to pay up to $40 PER YEAR to actually make it useful.

Nov 18, 2013 5:22 AM in response to ChocDipz

If you did not empty the Trash, click on the Trash icon at the right side of the Dock and drag those files to a different location to recover deleted files on Mac.

If you emptied the Trash, it is more difficult. Typically, when a file is erase, it is not really erased. The space the file occupied become unallocated, so that new data can be written over that space. If new data files have not yet been written over that space, the old data is still there and may be recoverable.

There are utilities specifically for data recovery. For example (I have not used)

Other more general utilities, have a data recovery "module" as part of the package. I have this utility (and it's a good product), but I have never used it for doing data recovery.

You may be able to use such Mad Data Recovery software to recover erased data. If you intend to try, you should use the disk that held the erased data as little as possible, to reduce the likelihood that new data files will be written over the space used by the old data.

<Link Edited by Host>

Jan 6, 2014 9:31 PM in response to ChocDipz

Emptied the trash is actually a complicated task for dealing with 'cause the Mac system is difference from Windows. This means you need to do more to operate the recovery process.

There is no doubt that you can perform Mac file recovery, why? Here offer some useful tips you may need to know.

When you save a file on a computer hard drive, the computer operating system will find the enough space for this file on the FAT which is in charge of recording all space usage and then write the content of this file on the corresponding partition on the hard drive and mark the space has been occupied by this file. When you remove a file, the computer operating system will not process on the partition which is occupied by the deleted file but only point out the space of the deleted file can be used by other new file.

When you deleted a file, it is possible for you to restore it. Nonetheless, if you put a new file or build a new file on the hard drive, the space of the deleted file will be taken by the new file. This will make the chances of file recovery become less than normal. So, here we bring you tips: When you found that you deleted the files you’d better not do any operation to the drive where your files were deleted from because data overwritten happen and no ways to get the lost files back.

<Link Edited by Host>

Mar 3, 2014 1:02 AM in response to ChocDipz

I back Niel. DiskDrill and a few other brands are well-known data recovery apps for Mac. Recovery quality highly depends on how exactly one's data was lost, and the app you choose. I recommend trying several. For me it's definitely DiskDrill. My company bought the corp edition, and i can verify its recovery quality and HFS rebuilding after incomplete or interrupted formatting. I also installed its free edition at home and keep my data protected and recoverable that way (something other apps cannot compete with). Happy user. Highly recommended.

Jun 5, 2014 5:23 AM in response to Niel

I would not recommend DiskDrill! There are better recovery tools cheaper than Disk Drill - I just purchased the Pro for around $90 to recover important files from a USB but it only recovered files that were previously deleted and labelled them with numbers so you don't have any way of knowing which files they are unless you open each - there were about 20-30 copies of each incomplete file - what a joke!

I used a different recovery app for $60 and this recovered the files and folders as they were before the USB got deleted!

Jun 25, 2014 11:49 PM in response to BillSmith2

If you did not empty the Trash, click on the Trash icon at the right side of the Dockand drag those files to a different location.

If you emptied the Trash, it is more difficult. Typically, when a file is erase, it is not really erased. The space the file occupied become unallocated, so that new data can be written over that space. If new data files have not yet been written over that space, the old data is still there and may be recoverable.

There are utilities specifically for data recovery. For example (I have not used)

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

Other more general utilities, such as TechTool Pro by Micromat, have a data recovery "module" as part of the package. I have this utility (and it's a good product), but I have never used it for doing data recovery.

You may be able to use such tools to recover erased data. If you intend to try, you should use the disk that held the erased data as little as possible, to reduce the likelihood that new data files will be written over the space used by the old data.

how to recover files once deleted from trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.