9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2012 10:00 PM by mark133
mark133 Level 1 Level 1 (65 points)

In Interface Builder, how do you change the 'New' menu heading to open into other selections, the way 'Open Recent' opens into other selections?

INTERFACE BUILDER SCREEN SHOT

Untitled.png

iMac
  • mark133 Level 1 Level 1 (65 points)

OK, I see I can remove or add those items.

But now that the enitire Main Menu window is deleted from the nib file, how do I add that back? Is that a tool bar of some kind that forms the main menu at the top of the screen?

OK, so I get it. There is no 'main menu' item to add in Interface Builder. The system gives you 1 when you open a new project, but if you delete it, you're up a creek, is that right?

Or you have to copy and paste a Nib file from another project?

• xnav Level 5 Level 5 (6,635 points)

You can rebuild it starting with a NSMenu object.

Screen Shot 2012-06-30 at 2.37.22 PM, Jun 30.jpg

Untitled.png

Do I have to re-orient the direction somehow?

So it looks like there is no 'Main Menu' object item. But the Main Menu object icon in Interface Builder can be copied and pasted.

Ok, I got it. The default is one .xib file, but then you can add additional .xib files through New>File.

I think the entire use of the Interface Builder and xCode in general would make much more sense if the first window for a new project did not contain any files, but only a suggestion to add a new application, a new data base, or a new main menu.

And adding a new application should add another .h and .m and .xib file, but only replace the library files.

It's a bit confusing when adding files. You pick Cocoa, then you can pick Application if you had picked a view before, and if you pick Objective C Object, then you still have to select object. The menu selection process is really confusing. Yet it could be turned around to be an instructional tool.

For example, if a new project opened empty, and then the user is prompted to add 1) The library 2) A 'Model/Controller' "for the model" (with .h .m files) 3) Another Model/Controller "for the controller" 3) A Main Menu 4) A Window (a second .xib file).

That would provide a valuable instruction for the beginner.