Previous 1 2 3 4 Next 48 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2015 10:31 AM by rdh2001
JoshRoedaMacUser Level 1 Level 1

Hello,

It seems that there is some problems with USB 3 hard drives.  I have a NewerTechnology Voyager Q.  The drive mounts to the rMBP,  but I recieve lots of errors when trying to access the content on it. Just wanted to report this issue.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)
Reply by clintonfrombirmingham on Jun 30, 2012 8:33 PM Helpful

There seems to be an issue with all MBP-R's and some USB 3 drives - either the drive isn't recognized at all, the drive is recognized but copies files at USB 2 speeds, or the drives will simply not read/write properly - the latter seems to be your case.

It seems to be an Apple problem with the USB 3 ports which will likely be fixed by a firmware/software update. If I were you, I'd certainly file a bug report with Apple. I would also call vendors such as LaCie and OWC to see if they have USB 3 drives that are actually working with the MBP-R.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help - your problem is one that has many threads going...

Clinton

All replies

• clintonfrombirmingham Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

There seems to be an issue with all MBP-R's and some USB 3 drives - either the drive isn't recognized at all, the drive is recognized but copies files at USB 2 speeds, or the drives will simply not read/write properly - the latter seems to be your case.

It seems to be an Apple problem with the USB 3 ports which will likely be fixed by a firmware/software update. If I were you, I'd certainly file a bug report with Apple. I would also call vendors such as LaCie and OWC to see if they have USB 3 drives that are actually working with the MBP-R.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help - your problem is one that has many threads going...

Clinton

• MacCompact Level 1 Level 1

I too am having this problem. I have the retina macbook pro 2.3ghz and the voyager Q on USB 3 mounts but it beachballs the whole time. Something is going wrong here with the Macbook Retina's USB 3 port. Not good.

• EQAL Level 1 Level 1

Our users are also experiencing this issue with Voyager-Q dock and multiple different makes/models/speeds of 3.5" and 2.5" HDD/SSD.  No combination works.  ALL result in beachball.  Please fix this, as I am attempting to build my machine using drive docks which does not have a dedicated usb 2.0 port.

• angusfan Level 1 Level 1

Same problem here I was so excited to try 3.0. Have the Voyager Q finally got it to work but it's very hit or miss. Also in carbon copy clone the recovery disk would not work until you connected to an older backup drive with regular USB 2.0 to get the recovery disk to work something is wrong for sure.

• clintonfrombirmingham Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

See this Apple tech note regarding USB 3.0 - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5172#12.

I also read, just recently (like tonight) posts that indicated that there is a update for users of 2012 machines that helps the problem (try Software Update in System Preferences) and that a user running a developer version of Mountain Lion had the problem 'solved' with the ML upgrade. So if one doesn't work, you may have to wait a couple of weeks for a fix - ML should be coming soon.

Clinton

• angusfan Level 1 Level 1

Thank you Clinton. Also note turns out my voyager q from OWC is outdated and had to buy the latest enclosure to support 3.0 (lame) although it has 3.0 when it was built it was before MacBook pro introduced 3.0. There may be a firmware upgrade owc says but let's not hold our breathe. I just bought a new enclosure for $37 today hope that works

• Barry Fisher Level 3 Level 3

Yes there does seem to be a problem that is occuring a lot, and in fact is one thing keeping from upgrading at the moment.  But to be fair, I don't think you can say it's a problem with all MBP Retina's.  Or am I wrong? But according to your link above, it does look like Apple is aware of problems in many situations at this point.  It all makes me think that the MBP Retina is ahead of the general industry and things need to catch up to it.

• STUPENDOUS!!! Level 1 Level 1

I was told by OWC that there would be a firmware update to address the Voyager Q USB 3 situation about 6 weeks ago. Not heard anything since.

Actually I got an update today, after writing to OWC:

"I got an email just yesterday saying they are close to getting an update finalized for Windows but they need to do further testing to insure it works on all versions of Windows."

Considering that was from "macsales.com" it doesn't look immediately promising for the Apple kingdom.

• Cricker Level 1 Level 1

Same issue here, Voyager Q on USB 3, it mounts but cannot access files, the light on the dock is constantly on. So something is screwed. Still no fixes?

Good news there is a firmware update for the Voyager USB 3 available from OWC. It's a PC app so you'll need Windows running or possibly WineBottler to run it.

• JoshRoedaMacUser Level 1 Level 1

Great news!  Thanks for posting!

I'm gonna try soon.  Ill let you know my results.  If you beat me to it, maybe post yours.

I have the Updater and have written to OWC for instructions. Will report back here. USB 3 firmware Updater for Voyager Q http://home2.owc.net/~tech/OWC/Firmware/USB%203/USB%203%20Voy%20FirmwareUpdater% 20(xp%2032-bit%20only).zip

via iPhone

• Kuranuk Level 1 Level 1

Thank you!

I loaded up VMWare Fusion and booted into my virtual machine of Windows XP (32-bit) and ran this firmware upgrader.

I had to manually install (from compmgmt.msc, the device manager) the drivers for the "Upgrade Device" bridge that the device gets put into after the upgrade has started, but the upgrade finished successfully and my hard drives are now working just fine on USB 3.0!

Previous 1 2 3 4 Next