Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did copying my library from one location to another make it empty?

Hey guys,

Bit of a long shot for help here!

I have a lot of my data on an external hard drive, which I then have mirrored onto another for safety.

One of the things in there is my iPhoto library.

So last night I used aperture and iPhoto to organise the nuts out of them...

I copied the library from the main drive to the mirror...

It was 40gig so I walked away and left it. To my surprise when I came back the copying process has dissappeaered and I'm both locations now my library reads a few meg!

I immediately ran drive genius on both disks which found no errors...

What can I do? The libraries are there but neither aperture or iPhoto will open them!

What I don't understand is this was a copy procedure!

Why are both the source AND destination damaged?

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 12:54 AM

2 replies

Jul 1, 2012 10:53 AM in response to LarryHN

Both drives are standard Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formatted and are connected by USB to my mac mini

I had one drive open in one finder window, and the other in another- I dragged from one to the other to do a copy.

The copy started, and when I came back the copy window was gone even though there was no way it could have completed in that time! Then both files showed as little white icons, with almost no size (one is a few hundred K and the other is 22MB)

Why did copying my library from one location to another make it empty?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.