Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iSight connection to '08 MacBook via 20" Cinema Display

I often use my Late '08 aluminum MacBook (no FireWire Port) connected to a 20-inch Cinema Display (via Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter and USB connected). If I connect an iSight cam to the Cinema Dispaly FireWire port (back of the display), should I expect to receive both video and sound even though the Cinema Display FireWire cable is NOT connected to my MacBook (as none exists)?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Rattlesnakes rule!

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 1:02 AM

3 replies

Jul 1, 2012 8:15 AM in response to AZherps

I don't have the hardware you list, so I cannot test your planned connection. If you already have all of the hardware, the best I can suggest is to try it.

However, in my experience, external (Firewire) iSight can be finicky about how it is connected, so don't expect success.

If you do not already have the external cam or other hardware you need, I think a less troublesome choice would be to add a currently produced Mac-compatible USB external camera. A few of the many available choices are discussed in http://www.mac-compatible-web-cam.com/ Don't add install software that Mac software that might come with the cam because all necessary software drivers are built into every Mac OS X after 10.4.8.

If I needed another external webcam today, I would choose USB (the same connection method Apple uses in its current webcams.) External iSights were fine webcams in their day, but they were discontinued many years ago. Therefore, any that are available now are quite old by consumer electronics standards.

Whether you already have an external iSight and cannot make it work, or you have not yet bought an external webcam, a new (with warranty) Mac-compatible USB cam is my best recommendation.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.7.4

Jul 1, 2012 12:39 PM in response to EZ Jim

Thanks. I don't have the iSight cam - was thinking about buying one but finally realized (duh!) the FireWire ports on the Cinema Display wouldn't be functional without connecting to the MacBook. I assume the iSight cam will ONLY connect via FireWire. As this MacBook has no FireWire port, the iSight cam can't work. It's that simple. I'll just go USB.

iSight connection to '08 MacBook via 20" Cinema Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.